ESA to UC, joint to single claim — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA to UC, joint to single claim

Options
Shiva_Bootz
Shiva_Bootz Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi, I used to be in WRA group, then went onto a joint claim (in support group, with Sdp) as the secondary claimant, and finally escaped onto a single claim on (LCW) UC, should I maybe ask about the lcw element? 
Or a friend recently sent me information about something called transition protection, but I don't fully understand how that applies, as I havent yet sent my PiP forms back? (Sorry for the TL:DR)
I really appreciate any & all feedback,
thankyou so much for your time,
Kind regards, Shiva 
Tagged:

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,065 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @Shiva_Bootz and a warm welcome to the community.
    What date were you originally awarded WRAG on ESA? If it was before April 2017 then I believe you should still be entitled to the LCW payment on UC. If it was after this date then you wouldn't be entitled to the LCW payment but should still be placed in the LCW group. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,833 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Regarding the SDP are you currently claiming either daily living PIP or DLA mid/high rate care of registered blind?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Shiva_Bootz
    Options
    Hello, thankyou! It was before 2017, but they said I "had to have" another assessment when I moved to UC, (after being on the joint claim.)
    And hi Poppy, no unfortunately I didnt manage to send the forms back in time, and haven't yet re-applied, and I have no idea what disability premiums we had, or how much was awarded, due to... a difficult relationship? 
    Thanks again everyone ^.^
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Did your ESA remain as a credits only claim? If it did then i think they are wrong not to include the LCW from the start of your claim.

Based on the information you gave you're not entitled to the SDP Transitional Protection.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Shiva_Bootz
    Options
    Sorry I'm not sure what credits only means, I know it was income related esa, both in the single claim w/wrag (pre-2017) and in the joint claim (support group) and I've been unable to work for around 9 years, (but didn't get my assessment for the first 2 or 3 years of sicknotes.) And thankyou, I didnt think so, as I was only in lcw ^.^' 
  • Shiva_Bootz
    Options
    Did your ESA remain as a credits only claim? If it did then i think they are wrong not to include the LCW from the start of your claim.

Based on the information you gave you're not entitled to the SDP Transitional Protection.
    Awh thankyou, I've just looked into "credits only" and it looks like it has something to do with paying NI? Sorry I don't understand it very well... if it helps, I've gone straight from single claim of (ir)esa in wra(+hb), to being on my ex's claim for (ir)esa in the support group, to starting my claim for UC. I doubt it applies to my circumstances, but I really appreciate it! I'm still unsure if my 'pLCW' would continue through the joint claim or not, as I wasn't the main claimant? 
    (Sorry for writing so much)
    Kind regards, Shiva 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Credits only means NI credits for your state pension. When you were added to your Ex's ESA your ESA could have reverted to a credits only claimed because of LCW. To know if it did you will need to contact ESA to ask them. If it did then your LCW may transfer across with you and you maybe entitled to the extra money but i'm not 100% sure. I'll tag a member of the scope team and they will hopefully be able to advise you further. @Adrian_Scope can you help here please? I'd rather not give incorrect advice and i'm really not sure of the answer.
    When you were included in your partners ESA because you weren't the main claimed your NI credits would not have been included.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,065 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Shiva_Bootz. My understanding is that when you went onto a joint claim your ESA should have become credits only, so the LCW would then still exist in the background.
    When you put in a claim for Universal Credit they should have checked for existing awards elsewhere, but mistakes do happen (anecdotaly more so with credits only claims) and many people are still being told they need to have a new assessment under UC when their existing award should transfer over.
    Of course it could be that you are due a review but the LCW should be there until a new decision is made. 

If you don't get anywhere with UC, you may wish to contact ESA and ask them to check for your ESA claim and whether it became credits only. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Shiva_Bootz
    Options
    Awwh thankyou both so much! I really appreciate it, the dwp guidelines are so confusing ^.^' I'll make a note to ask them both to check if this applies to my claims! (and hopefully remember to send my PiP forms back this time)
    And thankyou again for all the help! I'll have to let you know how I get on
    Kind regards Shiva :)
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The DWP guidelines are confusing, indeed, @Shiva_Bootz. Have you been able to check this with them yet?

If so, I am just wondering how this has gone for you. Please do let us know how you get on and if there's anything else we can do to support you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.