Appointeeship held by organisation — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Appointeeship held by organisation

Lou2023Lou Community member Posts: 1 Listener

Is it possible to be a Deputy (COP) for someone, but assign the Appointeeship to a separate organisation?
If so, what organisations (not the local council) provide this service?

My brother lives in supported housing and my family and I very much want to have Deputyship  but anything to do with money or budgeting causes tension and damages the relationship with my brother. Having an external organisation involved as an appointee would provide a buffer.

Thank you for any replies in advance.


  • Hannah_Scope
    Hannah_Scope Posts: 5,879 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Lou2023Lou

    Welcome to the community! :)

    When looking at the GOV website it explains there are two types of deputyship:
    There are 2 types of deputy.
    Property and financial affairs deputy
    You’ll do things like pay the person’s bills or organise their pension.
    Personal welfare deputy
    You’ll make decisions about medical treatment and how someone is looked after.
    It looks like you apply through the GOV website and go through the courts. It says the Office of The Public Guardian will be the ones you liaison with. Maybe reach out to them to see if you could get more information? 
    Office of the Public Guardian
    [email protected]
    Telephone: 0300 456 0300
    Textphone: 0115 934 2778
    Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, 9.30am to 5pm
    Wednesday, 10am to 5pm
    Find out about call charges
    Hannah - She / Her

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.