Spinal stenosis and uc appeal — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Spinal stenosis and uc appeal

Options
iansmithson
iansmithson Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited March 2023 in Universal Credit (UC)
I have spinal stenosis awaiting surgery. Was put on surgery list in June 22. I have pip enhanced mobility has I can only walk up to 20 metres at a time. I am in the appeal process to go onto lcwra. My question is if I have surgery  before the appeal and am able to walk within a few months would the appeal carry on and would I get my money back dated from my 4th uc payment which was May 22.
Regards ian.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,489 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The Tribunal will not take into consideration any changes in conditions. However, once the decision is made, if you're found to have LCWRA and your condition improves then you'll need to report a change of health condition, if you no longer meet the criteria for LCWRA.
    Please also be aware that the mobilising descriptor for LCWRA also takes into consideration your ability use a self propel wheelchair. PIP mobility moving around has completely different criteria.
    If you're found to have LCWRA then you will be owed money from the 4th assessment period after you reported your health condition. When it's paid from exactly will depend what date you reported your health condition/sent your first fit note and what date you usually receive your money each month. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • iansmithson
    Options
    Thankyou for your quick reply. I have this document from my consultant that states I should not work and how my condition affects me. 
    Pip gave me mobility award based on this I just don't understand why uc have not.
    Regards ian.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,489 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A Consultant or GP saying you shouldn't work isn't going to help here. They are assessing you're ability to do any type of work and not just the work you used to do.
    As i advised, the mobility part of PIP is completely different to the mobilising descriptor for LCWRA and it's not just about your ability to walk.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • iansmithson
    Options
    Ok thankyou for your comments. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I would just like to add a warm welcome @iansmithson. Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else we can do to support you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.