Ill retirement benefit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Ill retirement benefit

System Posts: 97 Scope online community team

There was an error rendering this rich post.


  • liliana
    liliana Community member Posts: 25 Connected
    Hi, I am Liliana, please give me an advice  regarding  my ill retirement benefit application benefit has  been accepted,  could applie for ESA Thank you?
  • Alex_Scope
    Alex_Scope Posts: 7,562 Scope online community team
    Hello @liliana, I've just made your post into it's own discussion so that our members can more easily find it. 

    If you retire early because of ill health you may be entitled to other benefits. You can use a benefits calculator to check :)  
    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 25
    In a previous thread in 2021 you were claiming Universal Credit, are you still claiming this? Thread here
    If so then a claim for New style ESA will not make you financially better off because it will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.
    Whether you’re entitled to ESA will depend on your NI contributions in tax years 2020/21 and 2021/22. 
    If entitled it would still be worth claiming because it’s not means tested like UC is so could be useful. 
    Have you been through the work capability assessment for UC? If so what was the decision on that? 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.