If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Cost of living payments

Options
hazelwilson
hazelwilson Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I was awarded PIP in September 2022 therefore was not eligible for the recent help.  Do you know if I will get anything this year.  Thanks

Comments

• Ash6f
    Ash6f Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    Options
    Cost of living payments are for means tested benefits only however if you are in receipt of PIP will get £150 they said it will be paid in the summer to get the £900 paymnets you must get income related benefits unfortunately I now get new style esa so am nor entitled to it which is ridiculous as I get housing benefit which is means tested I was told if I was cost of li ing paymnets to claim universal credit but I will be worse off on that so I will miss out cause of there so call new benefits system I do think that they really not bothered about tge people who really are vulnerable cause I know of people that are getting the paymnet have have used it as a deposit for there holiday to Jamaica which makes me so mad I paid into the system and get nothing out of it 
  • JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,075 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you only receive PIP you should get the Disability COL in the summer (dates not confirmed). If you receive IResa or UC you may also receive the col payments.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cost-of-living-payments-2023-to-2024
    Life is better in a fishtank  🐟
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,125 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Ash6f said:
    Cost of living payments are for means tested benefits only however if you are in receipt of PIP will get £150 they said it will be paid in the summer to get the £900 paymnets you must get income related benefits unfortunately I now get new style esa so am nor entitled to it which is ridiculous as I get housing benefit which is means tested I was told if I was cost of li ing paymnets to claim universal credit but I will be worse off on that so I will miss out cause of there so call new benefits system I do think that they really not bothered about tge people who really are vulnerable cause I know of people that are getting the paymnet have have used it as a deposit for there holiday to Jamaica which makes me so mad I paid into the system and get nothing out of it 

Have you used a benefits calculator to check entitlement to UC? Are you in the Support Group for ESA? If so then you'll be entitled to the LCWRA element of UC from the start of your claim. The ESA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.
    I'm assuming you're not claiming Tax Credits because you said you weren't entitled to the CoL payments. Therefore it doesn't mean you'll be worse off by claiming UC. Your rent will be included as part of your UC claim known as housing element.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • hazelwilson
    Options
    Thank you,  I am on the new style ESA support group.  I have looked to see if I can claim anything else but not able to as my wife works full time.

• kimkenzie202
    kimkenzie202 Community member Posts: 112 Courageous
    Options
    finally the payment is due
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,125 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you,  I am on the new style ESA support group.  I have looked to see if I can claim anything else but not able to as my wife works full time.

There's only Universal Credit left to claim because it's replaced all other means tested benefits. If you're in the Support Group you'll be entitled to the LCWRA from the start of your claim. You will need to claim UC as a couple and your joint circumstances will be taken into consideration. Your wife working full time doesn't mean there's no entitlement to UC.

If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you're excluded from claiming. You'll also be entitled to the work allowance, which means that a certain amount of earnings received each month will be ignored before the deductions apply. If you claim for help with the rent your work allowance will be £344/month, if you don't it will be £573/month. (these figures will increase next month when benefits increase)

Your ESA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. If you don't have savings of more than £16,000 then use a benefits calculator to check entitlement, you maybe very surprised. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator Make sure you put that you're claiming New style ESA in the Support Group when filling it out and all your wifes details, including earnings.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • hazelwilson
    Options
    Thanks again for your help.  I have checked on the website listed and I am not entitled to UC.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,884 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that hopefully with our help you will be able to get a cost of living payment soon. 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.