Recommended places to visit in the UK — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Recommended places to visit in the UK

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,690 Disability Gamechanger

Hi, just wondering if anyone can suggest where to look for somewhere new to go for a short break in the UK.

What we want is interesting small towns (or villages) in the UK with lots of character and history. Not cities. Also like looking in small independent shops, not chains, and going to nice but not overly posh restaurants i.e. good quality pub food.

We’ve already done these counties so maybe something outside of these…

-Peak District

-Yorkshire Dales

-Norfolk

-Cambridgeshire

I have looked at…

-Rye, Sussex ... nice looking old town with history, the smugglers used to have big operations there, you can drink at the pubs where the criminal gangs used to drink which sounds quite cool.

-Lindisfarne ... first place in the UK raided by the Vikings might be interesting, I quite like the Vikings. Not sure if you can stay there but maybe somewhere near and visit there?

Any other ideas welcome. Maybe you know or live in an interesting town that's not on the radar for tourists and can recommend it???

Thanks!!!!!

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Rye is on my list! :) I also like that it isn't too far of a journey to other heritage sites.

Have you thought about Wales? It may be quite a journey, but last year I went to Betws-Y-Coed in North Wales with my family and it was lovely. Lots of local pubs and restaurants. Not a far drive from the beach, castles and Portmeirion, which was one of the highlights for me and I highly recommend :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @Hannah_Scope thank you for the reply and suggestions. :) 

Wales is certainly something to think about! I'm glad you enjoyed your time there.

Portmeirion...my Granny has a whole cupboard full of china by a company called Portmeirion...I didn't realise it was an actual place! Does the china come from there? 
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,563 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Lake District Bendrigg 
    Keilder Calvert Trust 
    London 
    Newcastle 
    Scotland but beware it's not very accessible but it's stunning 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,107 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I would definitely recommend Lindisfarne, & then you've got my favourite castle (Dunstanburgh - about a mile's walk north of Craster), & my daughter's (Warkworth) nearby.
    Amble has some great dog friendly pubs we found when I stayed there with my son & his wife for a week, & beaches for long dog walks. Alnwick is nice, but can be expensive for eating out (& also for spending most of the day in the large secondhand bookshop in the old railway station!). A little further afield is Rothbury & nearby Cragside House & gardens. Northumberland is a beautiful county, & the people very friendly.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,801 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I can recommend York. Lovely place, there is a train museum which is really good to walk around.
    The shambles which takes you back in time.
    Can also hire boats. Has a viking trail too.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I appreciate everyone taking the time to give me some ideas. I will have to do some research into all of these. :)
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    @Hannah_Scope thank you for the reply and suggestions. :) 

Wales is certainly something to think about! I'm glad you enjoyed your time there.

Portmeirion...my Granny has a whole cupboard full of china by a company called Portmeirion...I didn't realise it was an actual place! Does the china come from there? 
    They do have china and pottery, unsure if it is from there now or they use a third party. It's so beautiful there, it's a little Italian inspiration on the Welsh coast. They've filmed a bit there too, mainly The Prisoner if you have ever seen that series. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • life
    life Community member Posts: 527 Pioneering
    Options
    Weymouth nice place to visit or revisit 👍

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.