2 tenants - 2 separate housing benefit claims? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

2 tenants - 2 separate housing benefit claims?

Lottie1732 Community member Posts: 114 Pioneering
In the next couple of months I will not be able to pay my rent (to private landlord). If, as a last resort) I move in with my mum, can we both legitimately have separate housing benefit claims (if I'm made a joint tenant with her). It's 2 bedrooms and clearly we'd both have an entitlement to 1 bedroom each. She currently has housing benefit but it is not the full amount of the rent as she is "overhoused" as she has 2 bedrooms and she's only entitled to 1. 

I applied to the council housing list 6 months ago and they are currently (they say) getting around to it. Moving back home would be a last resort. I don't want to be the cause of my mum having to start jumping through lots of official hoops.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. 

Thank you


  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hey @Lottie1732. Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like a really challenging time for you at the moment, with struggling to pay your rent.

    In terms of housing benefit, it seems to be related to the household as a whole, rather than the separate individuals who live within it. 

    To me, this implies that you would only get one lot of housing benefits that you could divide between you. However, the amount of housing benefit you receive could be higher.

    The Government website highlights that how much you get depends on:

    • The lower figure of your 'eligible' rent or LHA rate
    • your household income including benefits, pensions and savings (over £6,000)
    • Your circumstances (for example your age or whether you have a disability
    I hope this is at least semi-helpful. There are also many resources available which can provide more targeted support and guidance around struggling to pay for private rent.

    Examples include:

    Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else we can do to support you. We are all here for you and, at the very least, listening to you  :)

    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

    Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.