Carers allowance stopped due to State Pension — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers allowance stopped due to State Pension

DCE1956 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello my wife receives carers allowance for looking after myself full time carer received a letter from DWP saying allowance will be stopped as she receives her reduced state pension in July2023, the letter states she is still valid for carers allowance? 
Any other benefits we can claim?
Thanks DCE1956


  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 15,465 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @DCE1956 - there's some info here:   which says,

    'If you get State Pension

    You cannot get the full amount of both Carer’s Allowance and your State Pension at the same time.

    If your pension is £69.70 a week or more, you will not get a Carer’s Allowance payment.

    If your pension is less than £69.70 a week, you’ll get a Carer’s Allowance payment to make up the difference.'

    Pension Credit may be possible if your joint income will be less than £278.70 (soon to go up to £306.85) per week. You can check if you may be eligible here:

  • DCE1956
    DCE1956 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Ok thanks for your help.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,867 Disability Gamechanger
    Are you state pension age or under? If under then you will be known as a mixed aged couple which means you will not be able to claim Pension Credit.
    Are either of you claiming any other benefits? If so which ones?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.