Moved to the work related activity group — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moved to the work related activity group

Options
kayleigh89
kayleigh89 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi all! 

I'm after some advice regarding my brother who is autistic and has anxiety issues. 

He has just turned 26 and has previously been claiming ESA, however he was deemed fit for work in his last meeting and moved into the work related activity group (previously in the support group). His anxiety levels have shot through the roof and it's heavily affected his mental health.  I can't help but think it's a numbers game for the local authority and government,  which serves absolutely no purpose in supporting him. In a previous meeting, the person actually asked how long he had been autistic for!!!!

I'm wondering if it's worth us appealing against this decision,  or if anyone has any experience of being in this group. Will he be reassessed if it proves to be too much pressure? I'm concerned that he is going to be pushed into a situation which he cannot cope in. 

Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,691 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When was the decision made on the work capability assessment? The reason i'm asking is because reviews have been suspended for 3 years.
    If the decision was made more than 13 months ago then he will be out of time to challenge the decision.
    He can report a change of circumstances for a worsening of condition and then he's be reassessed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bobby123
    bobby123 Community member Posts: 197 Courageous
    Options
    When was the decision made on the work capability assessment? The reason i'm asking is because reviews have been suspended for 3 years.
    If the decision was made more than 13 months ago then he will be out of time to challenge the decision.
    He can report a change of circumstances for a worsening of condition and then he's be reassessed.
    Aren't reviews suspended until 2027 now with the new disability paper bought out in the budget
  • poppy123456
    Options
    bobby123 said:
    Aren't reviews suspended until 2027 now with the new disability paper bought out in the budget
    No they are not. They will start up again at some point. 
    The white paper is just what “might” happen, nothing is set in stone yet. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • kayleigh89
    kayleigh89 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    He literally had a meeting last week!!! How strange??
  • poppy123456
    Options
    He literally had a meeting last week!!! How strange??
    What meeting? 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.