If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers element

Options
blades1990
blades1990 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi 
My wife has been awarded enhanced PIP for mobility & living costs she also receives LCWRA my question is I have applied & been granted carers element is this deducted from our benefits & is it sensible to also apply for carers allowance im not sure if this would make any difference as I'm sure that every pound of this is deducted from the UC as it is means tested can anyone with first hand knowledge explain how it's works as anything I have read in not very helpful in explaining thanks in a advance. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,129 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Carers element isn't deducted from anything. It increases your maximum UC entitlement by £168.81/month increasing to £185.86/month from 10th April.

You are correct that carers allowance is deducted in full from any UC entitlement. There's also an earnings limit per week for this, which is £132/week but this is due to increase from 10th April. There's no earnings limit with carers element.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • blades1990
    blades1990 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Hi Poppy
    Could you explain the point in Carers allowance & why it exists what are the benefits having it in place for what purpose thanks in advance
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,129 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It exists because not everyone is entitled to UC because it's means tested. Carers allowance isn't affected by savings like UC is, although it has an earnings limit.

You will receive class 1 NI credits for carers allowance but only class 3 for UC. Carers allowance can be paid weekly but UC pays monthly, so it can help with budgeting a little better.

If you live in Scotland you will receive a carers supplement of £270.50 twice a year. https://www.mygov.scot/carers-allowance-supplement

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.