Driving Lessons Help — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Driving Lessons Help

Options
legamn1
legamn1 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I'm not eligible for the motability scheme as I only receive the standard component of mobility in PIP but I also received the enhanced rate of daily living. Being able to access a vehicle would help me so much in day to day life since I have several mental health problems and I find public transport and taxis too anxiety-inducing. I'm also looking to support my disabled mother who can't drive who is also on PIP and receives the enhanced mobility rate. The motability scheme won't help with lessons for myself as I'm not eligible and my mum can't learn to drive herself due to ongoing pain and a fear of driving. I'm unsure what to do next as it would be so beneficial for her to have someone who can drive her places, she misses out on so much because she can't drive herself, and it would also help me become more independent and confident outside the house. I'm unsure of what to do next and who to contact. 

Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,558 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm not aware of any other funding for driving lessons other than motability. As you correctly said, you're not eligible for this because you need to be a motability customer or waiting for delivery of your vehicle within the next 3 months.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,635 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This does seem to be a big 'gap' in the Motability criteria unfortunately.  I was in a similar position regarding MH issues and being unable to use public transport etc.  I would've benefitted so much from access to a Motability car in 2019 when I applied for PIP.  Sadly, I ended up completely unable to drive and now housebound, with no way to travel to even basic places like supermarkets or medical centres.  

Obviously, I'm not entirely blaming Motability for that, but I do wonder if I'd be in a totally different situation now if I'd had a Motability car when I really needed one.  I wish Motability would allow direct applications from people not on Enhanced Mobility to assess individually.  I've heard from a few other people in similar situations so it's far from a one-off occurrence.
  • anawilliam850
    anawilliam850 Community member Posts: 29 Connected
    Options

I understand that the Motability scheme is not an option for you and your mother, but there are other options you can explore.

1. Blue Badge Scheme: The Blue Badge Scheme provides parking concessions for people with disabilities, including those who receive the standard rate of mobility component of PIP. You can apply for a Blue Badge through your local council, and if you are approved, it will allow you to park in designated disabled parking bays.

2. Car Insurance: If you are able to purchase or lease a car, there are car insurance companies that offer policies specifically for people with disabilities, which can include cover for adaptations to the vehicle. You can shop around and compare policies to find one that suits your needs and budget.

3. Driving Lessons: There are driving schools that specialize in teaching people with disabilities how to drive, including those who have mental health problems or physical disabilities. You can search for such schools in your local area or ask for recommendations from other disabled drivers.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.