Alpha Civil Service Ill health retirement terminology — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Alpha Civil Service Ill health retirement terminology

Options
BoroJon
BoroJon Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited April 2023 in Work and employment
Hello I  am a Border force Officer aged 56 and am currently on restricted duties as the medication I currently take prevents me from fulfilling my full duties. I am on the medication for at least six months but i have been told  I maybe on the medication permanently.
Hopefully this won’t be the case but if so I might have to apply for Ill health retirement. I am covered for this under the classic pension rules for Ill health retirement but the Alpha pension Lower tier states -
“Your health must, in the opinion of the Scheme Medical Adviser (SMA), permanently prevent you from being able to do your current job or any other similar role”
I was wondering what would be classed as a similar role in my situation ? can anyone assist me please? 
Tagged:

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @BoroJon and a warm welcome to our online community, how's your Thursday going?

I'm sorry to hear the medication is impacting your work-life but do hope it's helping in terms of your health. 

Have you spoken with your manager or HR department about the long term possibilities should you need to remain on medication? It may be the case you will be referred for an occupational health assessment to help determine what work (if any) you could reasonably do, however I'd recommend starting that discussion with your employer nearer the time of learning about the likely duration of your medication. 

ACAS are good to contact around things like this, so if you need any free and impartial advice around your situation, I'd recommend giving them a call.

Best wishes for the future and please keep us posted with how you get on.

To note: I've moved your thread to our Work and employment category to help others find it and respond to you with their experience.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • BoroJon
    Options
    Hello Cher thank you for your reply and advice as I am already on restricted duties as per a consultation with occupational health they have said they will review my case once they know my situation regarding my medication and my line manager is thankfully very supportive.
    I don’t believe the current restricted duties are sustainable in the long term so I am obviously a bit concerned so I am looking to see if anyone would know the definition of a similar role to a Border Force Officer would be in the context of the Alpha Ill health pension if I have to go along the Ill health route.
    Thank you for suggesting ACAS I will give them a call.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It is really positve to hear your line manager is very supportive @BoroJon. The support of a line manager, honestly, makes such a difference - doesn't it?

How are you feeling about what occupational health have said? Have you managed to call ACAS yet and, if so, how did this go for you?

Please don't hesitate to let us know if you wish to talk about this further. Interestingly, I did not have an occupational health appointment in my last role - only a form to fill out. 

I am speaking to occupational health, more formally, for the first time ever next week! Where a proper appointment has been granted  :D
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • BoroJon
    Options
    Really pleased you have got a conversation with your occupational health team L .Volunteer hope it goes well. 

I did manage to speak to ACAS unfortunately they couldn’t help and suggested Money Helper a free Government advice service who also assist with Pension queries who were also unable to help. However I have spoken to someone at the Civil Service Pension scheme who were able to assist.

The member of staff stated that a similar role would be something in my actual workplace not within the Civil Service as there are no fixed administrative roles where I work I believe I should be able to gain the Ill health retirement if necessary. 

My medication should be reviewed in August so will hopefully it can be stopped so I can return to normal duties and will not have to go down the retirement route. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you @BoroJon - Of course, it didn't go smooth sailing and they have since re-scheduled another two times. Next month now.

How frustrating that you kept being signposted to people who were unable to assist. What a relief that you finally managed to get through to someone who was able to assist.

How are you feeling about everything since they were able to assist? Here for you and listening to you if you would like to share more with us  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.