Help towards getting on the council registar — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help towards getting on the council registar

colston Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi all
I'm new to your site, and very unsure who and how to ask for some help. I find it hard to ask for the above but life changes had made it difficult to stay in the situation I'm in. I'm classed as disabled and get high pip, UC, plus high mobility. I am 64yr single and rent privately. I have absolutely no ideal how to apply for semi sheltered housing with my local council. I have tried but it's all so confusing and my mental health can't deal with the process. Please is there something or someway of finding help to do this. I suffer from agoraphobia so I nearly leave this house.thankyou for reading 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,590 Disability Gamechanger
    You can search the housing for your area here Once you've done that you will be able to register for an account and then fill out a form. The form will ask you questions about yourself and what disabilities you have, including what benefits you're claiming. All of this can be done online so you don't need to go out to do it.

    If you can't do that yourself do you have family or friends that can help you? If not then maybe a local Advice agency can help but this maybe difficult if you don't go out. There may also be some help available through your local Authority and someone maybe able to visit you in your home to help with the application but you'll need to have a look on their website.

    You can also refer yourself for a needs assessment. Then an Occupational Therapist will come to your home to assess your needs. This can all be done online here.

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Alex_Scope
    Alex_Scope Posts: 7,562 Scope online community team
    Hello there @colston and welcome thanks for your post :) 

    Shelter might be able to help, they have plenty of information on how to apply for a council or housing association home, which you might find helpful to read. 

    Let us know if we can help further!
    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.