Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Finding work with multiple impairments

Options
KaiO
KaiO Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi all, I’m struggling financially at the moment and really need to find work. 
My hunt is going terribly because of of many multiple disabilities 

I have anxiety and im autistic and i cant speak on the phone, so i cant do call center/admin. i also get anxious talking to customers or approaching people, i have bad back and joint pains so i cant work in anything requiring standing/walking all day, lifting things repetitively (like stocking shelves, carrying food/drinks)
and im recovering from an eating disorder so cant work in bars or restaurants 

i tried applying for universal credit but because im a student and havent had a work capability assessment they immediately rejected it (i thought theyd offer the assessment)

i was too overwhelmed and having a very bad agoraphobic episode, didnt leave my room for 4 months before my course so applying for a work capability assessment didnt cross my mind

i really dont know what kind of job i can do at until my current flairup calms down

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,771 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Does your university offer any careers advice @KaiO?
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @KaiO

Welcome to the community! I'm sorry to hear you are going through such a difficult time, have you got support for the anxiety at the moment? There are great charities like SHOUT who are a 24/7 texting service that may help :) 

I would also advise reaching out to Scope's Support To Work Programme, who you can contact via email.
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2023
    Options
    One thing I will add is that not all admin jobs involve the phone, thankfully, @KaiO. As a fellow autistic here, I would encourage you to think about what you are passionate about and what your strengths are.

Following your passions and strengths makes such a key difference in how work is experienced. Please don't hesitate to let us know if you would like to talk about this further. Hopefully, we can support you through this  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.