If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCWRA/ LCW Anxiety and depression

Options
kbel88
kbel88 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
Hello, sorry for the long post. I have had anxiety and depression for many years which has been manageable untill now. I worked untill 4 years ago when I gave up my job to become my mums full time carer. I got carers allowance and uc but didn’t need to attend any meetings with them. My mum died in January from sepsis which was a complete shock, I told uc straight away and they made me go to a commitments review the week after. I was so distressed that they postponed it and since then my dr has been giving me sick notes each month. I have had a uc50 to fill out and from looking on here if I get lcw and not LCWRA I will have to attend these meetings. I know I won’t get LCWRA as physically there is nothing wrong with me but I’m mentally in a really bad place. I don’t care about the extra money I just can’t face meetings. I can’t face going out as when I have gone out in public I have panic attacks, I can hardly eat or sleep, I’ve lost nearly 2 stone and am waiting for counselling, my old job have said I can go there part time when I’m ready which I will do when I’m better. I just can’t cope with all this. Will they do the assessment over the phone if I can’t go out

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,129 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry for your loss! Just because you don't have a physical condition this doens't mean you can't be found to have LCWRA. Lots of people with mental health conditions are successfully awarded this.
    You can see the descriptors for this here. https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/universal-credit-uc/uc-faq/limited-capability-for-work-related-activity only one of those needs to apply because it's not about scoring points.

You will likely need an assessment before a decision is made because most people have them. These are mostly by telephone but can also be face to face or video call. You can ask for a telephone assessment.  If this is needed once an appointment becomes available you will be contacted.

Once a decision is made if you're not happy you can challenge that decision by first requesting the Mandatory Reconsideration. However, try not to think the worst at this stage, though i know it's difficult.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @kbel88

I just wanted to offer my condolences for the loss of your mum. Can I ask, are you getting any support for the anxiety or depression at the moment? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • kbel88
    kbel88 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Options
    thankyou for your comments. My g.p has increased my anti depressants and put me on propranolol. I’m waiting to hear from cruse for counselling and my friends and family are trying to support me but I just want to shut the world away, I have a 9 year old daughter and I feel awful because I can’t be the parent I should for her
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @kbel88 But you are being the parent you should for her. Asking for help is a huge hurdle! I'm hoping you hear back for counselling soon. There are great organisations like SHOUT who are a 24/7 texting service, should you need to speak to anyone. We are always here too :) 

9 is a great age! Not long until secondary school 😱 I bet you feel she is growing fast! I don't have any children yet, but come from a big family. I have an 11 year old cousin who is Harry Potter mad. Is your daughter a huge fan of anything? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.