If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip stenosis

Options
Rphil
Rphil Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Good day. 

I have spinal stenosis, which currently classed as mild, I had major surgery 7 yeas ago. I have a physical job which I struggle with at times would like to go part time would I be able to claim PIP.
Any advice would be really appreciated. 
Many thanks Rob. 

Comments

• nasturtium
    nasturtium Community member Posts: 376 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello Rphil
    PIP is not based on a diagnosis and you can work and be awarded PIP.
    If you are thinking of claiming PIP I advise you to do some research before you make your claim. PIP is based on how your physical or mental disability affects the way you do the 12 PIP activities safely, repeatedly, in a timely manor and to an acceptable standard.
    You need to problems completing the activities more than 50% of the time.
    If you use aids to help with your daily living or mobility then you need to mention these and the reasons why you use them and what would happen if you did not have them.
    Keep all of your verbal evidence focused around the descriptors for each activity.
    More information about claiming PIP and how you are assessed can be found here from the official Government website. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria
    I hope this has been of assistance.
    Nasturtium
    How to challenge a PIP award that has been reduced at Review https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/696285#Comment_696285
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    Rphil said:
    Good day. 

I have spinal stenosis, which currently classed as mild, I had major surgery 7 yeas ago. I have a physical job which I struggle with at times would like to go part time would I be able to claim PIP.
    Any advice would be really appreciated. 
    Many thanks Rob. 

Hi Rob,
    I`ve had lumbar & cervical spondylosis (aka degenerative disk disease aka arthritis of the spine) since 1997 and I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis in 2022.
    Over the years the effects of those conditions, combined with insomnia, made working days a nightmare, so much so I reduced my working week to 3 days (I won`t say which days, but I get a looong weekend now ;) ).
    I claimed PIP and (eventually) received enhanced on both parts.
    Nasturtium has given you very good advice and I recommend you take time to follow up on the links.  Understanding the descriptors, and the way your condition relates to / fulfils them is crucial to being awarded PIP.
    The important thing to remember, and as Nasturtium has said, PIP isn`t based on a diagnosis.  It`s how the effects of the diagnosis affect you on a day to day basis for at least 50% of the time, must have lasted for at least 3 months and must be expected to last for at least another 9 months.
    Andy

• Rphil
    Rphil Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you for the information, I have been put on light duties because of my ailments and my manager has said my job is now at risk. Shorter week would be far more beneficial. 
    Many thanks
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Do you feel able to talk to them about what you feel would be more beneficial for you @Rphil:)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.