If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Leaving work, Capability

Options
Wilsonwinehouse
Wilsonwinehouse Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
edited April 2023 in Work and employment
Morning Guys, 

I currently work in tech support, a job i have been doing from home now for over 10 years. The last 5 years i have major issues with my sight, i have had 2 operations, injections and 4 lots of laser and i am now registered Severely sight impaired as of last month.

I claimed for PIP in January and had an assessment 3 weeks ago and have now got a txt saying i have been awarded but I am still waiting for the letter to explain what i have been given as such.

I wanted to ask for advice on leaving my job, i have asked for certain things to try and help me to do it but have been denied, the company is a small one with maybe 40 staff so i cannot change role or do less of what i currently do basically, i get the feeling they would rather me not be here but cannot just let me go as such, but the job is on the borderline now of me just not being able to do it, every single day is a real struggle, i end the day exhausted, headaches, i feel terrible and i do less work than i used to but work 10 times harder if that makes sense.

Does anyone have any advice or the best route for me to possibly look at leaving and what my next steps wold be?

Thanks 

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I would just like to say that employers have to provide 'reasonable adjustments' under the Equality Act 2010 @Wilsonwinehouse. Have you been able to talk to occupational health, your line manager and HR?

It might also be worth looking into Access for Work. They can also provide some things to support you, which reduce the cost on your employer. This might be particularly useful for you because of working in a small company.

Your health (physical and mental) absolutely come first though. You might find Acas's website helpful - particularly for understanding your rights and how to leave, effectively, if you wish to.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if you want to talk about this further or if there's anything else we can do to support you. We are all here with you and listening to you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Wilsonwinehouse
    Options
    Hi..

So they did get me a larger screen which did not work, changing job roles isnt possible, it basically comes down to the fact that i just cannot see anymore, reading is almost impossible now.

I did speak to access to work a month or so ago and they have said there is a 9 month waiting list, the same thing for an assessment from the Kent association for the blind for someone to come to my property.

I have had an informal chat with work and they have said it would be sad for me to go but they understand as my sight is so bad, they have advised i would be paid for what i ave done for example, also my 1 month notice would be paid and they would not expect me to work that because of my sight, remaining holiday would also be paid. 

It is a shame but after 11 years, the last 4 have got worse and worse because of my vision, it might be a relief. 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry to hear the bigger screen didn't work. It's going to be a big change for you, do you have a support system to talk to? You always have us here :)<3
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Wilsonwinehouse
    Options
    I have friends and some family but they are all at leat 50 miles away, when i moved to where i am now, i was in a relationship and my eyes were fine, we both drove and now my licence has been taken away and I am single, it can be a bit isolating to be fair.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm so sorry you are feeling so isolated @Wilsonwinehouse If who you work for are a larger scale organisation, is it worth asking HR if they have had an employee that was in a similar position before, and what they put in place for them?
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.