Hi, I'm Gemz24! My son's SENco plan not reviewed & lost out on maths funding. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm Gemz24! My son's SENco plan not reviewed & lost out on maths funding.

Options
Gemz24
Gemz24 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited April 2023 in Education
My son has done 4 yrs at college and was supposed to have had a senco review when he enrolled.  I presumed this was taken care of as he has been working very closely with mentor, which I presumed was part of the senco provision which college provide.  On enrollment in September I was informed the college have no record of my son ever being registered with special needs.  They asked me to contact his school to confirm this to enable funding for his maths, which I couldn’t afford due to low income.  I have since found the copy of my sons senco plan which clearly hasn’t been reviewed since 2018.  My son has lost out on funding and am worried he may not be eligible for ehcp as he is now 20 and this situation has left me in debt which I have worked so hard to build and supported my son on my own.  Can anyone relate to, or offer some useful advice, as my son has been rejected from university due to not obtaining his foundation level 2 maths.

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Gemz24 and a warm welcome to our online community, how are you keeping?

I'm so sorry this situation has arose, it sounds like a combination of communication break downs has resulted in losing the maths funding. I can understand how frustrating that must be, particularly during the cost of living crisis, every penny counts.

In practical terms, I'd encourage you to speak with IPSEA who are excellent in this area and will have the most up to date guidance to offer you. You can book a 30 minute appointment to speak with a volunteer on their advice line.  Whilst, in addition to this, there are some other organisations who could help with your situation, namely:
    Please let us know how you get on. And, just to advise, I've moved your thread to our Education category and amended the title to help others with more knowledge in this area offer their wisdom and experience.

Wishing you both well.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2023
    Options
    The first thing I will mention @Gemz24 is that EHCP's can go up to the age of 25, so there is the chance for your son to still receive an EHCP. How frustrating is this lack of communication though  :(

Also, some universities allow you to study your maths and English GCSE along your degree. It might be worth looking at different universities and their varying entry requirements.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions, want to talk about this further or if there's anything we can do to help  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.