Hi, I have question about the impact of marriage on benefits! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I have question about the impact of marriage on benefits!

Options
masa
masa Community member Posts: 2 Listener

Hi all. I am a PhD student and I have a student visa living in London. recently my boyfriend has proposed to me. He has disability and receives ESA, PIP and housing benefit. Will our marriage impact his benefits? Because of his disability he is not able to work and I cannot support both of us as I can only receive bursary by the end of 2024 and I earn £900 a month for caring an old lady. Can you tell me if we get married whether he loses his benefits or not?   

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,380 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Getting married doesn't affect any benefits he's claiming. What will affect them is if you live together, even if you're not married.
    If you live together he will need to report the changes to ESA and tell them he's now living with you. They will then reassess his entitlement to ESA. If any part of his ESA is Income Related then any earnings you receive of up to £20/week will be ignored. For anything over this then his ESA will be reduced £1 for £1.
    If any part of his ESA is Contributions based this won't be affected.
    PIP continues as normal and won't be affected.
    He may want to take a look at claiming Universal Credit but use a benefits calculator to check entitlement or get a full benefits check from an agency near you. https://advicelocal.uk/welfare-benefits

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • masa
    masa Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you very much poppy. I think he receives income related ESA. Can you explain the difference of contributory ESA and income related ESA? and do you think he can apply for contributory ESA before we get married? Because I earn £1400 as a bursary which is absolutely higher than £20/week. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,380 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Contributions based isn't means tested so any earnings/savings/capital do not affect the amount he's entitled to. Income Related is means tested so savings/capital and partners earnings affect it.

If he doesn't know what his ESA is made up of then he can ring ESA to ask and they will tell him. He just needs to ask is any part of his ESA contributions based. If it isn't then he won't be able to claim New style ESA because if he hasn't worked in the past 2 tax years then he won't have the correct NI contributions.

If his ESA is Income Related then check entitlement to UC. If it shows there's any entitlement then i'd advise him to claim UC before you move in together. He will be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of his claim.

He will also have the work allowance, which means a certain amount of earnings (not student loans) you receive each month will be ignored before any deductions apply. If you'll be claiming for help with the rent then your work allowance will be £379/month, if you don't it will be £631/month.

However, i also note that you have a student visa, which tells me you're not from the UK. Do you have access to public funds? You will also need to pass the Habitual Residence Test (HRT) full details here. (though i'm no expert with this) https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/claiming-benefits-if-youre-from-the-EU/before-you-apply/check-if-you-can-pass-the-habitual-residence-test-for-benefits/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @masa and a warm welcome to our online community, congratulations on the proposal! That's lovely news :)

You might want to take a read of this Scope webpage which advises about the different types of ESA

Also, I've moved your thread to our Benefits and financial support category to help make it more visible to others.

Wishing you lots of happiness, and do ask away with any other questions you have! Take care.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.