If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Hi, my name is lolb! Just informed Lcwra, and I receive carers allowance for my son

Options
lolb
lolb Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited April 2023 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi can you help, clarify. Just informed Lcwra, and I receive carers allowance for my son, will I lose the weekly payment for caring for him. Thank you

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,255 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    LCWRA is part of UC. Carers allowance is a separate benefit and deducted in full from any UC entitlement. If your UC includes the carers element, you will lose this because LCWRA and carers element can't both be paid at the same time to the same person.
    If they owe you any money for the LCWRA element then you won't receive the full amount, you will receive the difference between both elements. (if you were claiming carers element for the whole time)
    Are you claiming UC with a partner?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @lolb

Welcome to the community! :) I hope you are keeping well?

I just wanted to let you know, I popped your post over into our Universal Credit section of the forum, in case you had any other questions or queries :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • lolb
    Options
    No, I’m single
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Then your UC will only increase by the difference between carers element and LCWRA element.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • lolb
    Options
    Hi, I got notification of ucd81 today. Just wondering will it be included this month, I get paid 14th may.
    Thank you in advance.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    lolb said:
    Hi, I got notification of ucd81 today. Just wondering will it be included this month, I get paid 14th may.
    Thank you in advance.
    When it’s paid from exactly will depend on what date you reported your health condition/sent your first fit note. 
  • lolb
    Options
    28th December 22. Thanks
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Providing you sent a fit note the whole time without any gaps then your waiting period will be.. 
    Jan to April.. LCWRA starts from assessment period 8th April to 7th May and your first payment will be 14th May. No LCWRA element is owed. 

If this decision has only just been made there may not be enough of time to include the element in your next statement. Therefore they will owe you some money. Do also be aware that you will only receive the difference between the carers element and LCWRA element. Once the LCWRA element is added the carers element will be removed. 
  • lolb
    Options
    Thank you for the helpful information 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You're welcome :)
  • poppy123456
    edited May 2023
    Options
    letitgo said:
    Due to the descriptors you have to meet to be entitled to LCWRA, how can you at the same time be able to be a carer for your disabled son?
    Just because someone cares for another person this doesn’t mean they won’t be qualify for LCWRA. 

The only thing is that the same person can’t receive both elements at the same time, as advised here in the thread. For this reason they would be entitled to the higher amount, which will be LCWRA. 

I claim ESA for myself in the Support Group. I also claim PIP. I’m also a carer for my daughter who I live with. My caring duties do not contradict the reasons why I claim either of my benefits. 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.