Carer allowance and pip — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carer allowance and pip

Options
leah2007
leah2007 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
Hi, I’m asking for a friend.

Her husband is not working and she is in full time work from home. Both claim pip, but can her husband claim careers allowance to help his wife with certain things or does this affect their pip entitlement because both in receipt of pip? They only receive child tax credit and child benefit and nothing else. Many thanks 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,378 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Yes he can claim carers allowance for looking after her, providing her PIP includes the daily living part and he looks after her for at least 35 hours per week.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • leah2007
    leah2007 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Options
    @poppy123456 do you mean she has to have been awarded the daily living part as well as the motability? 

Also if he claims careers allowance for her and they both claim pip would this still be ok or will it effect pip? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,378 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    leah2007 said:
    @poppy123456 do you mean she has to have been awarded the daily living part as well as the motability? 

No. The mobility part has nothing to do with carers allowance. It will be the daily living part she needs to be claiming for him to qualify for CA. https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility

leah2007 said:

Also if he claims careers allowance for her and they both claim pip would this still be ok or will it effect pip? 

Lots of people claim carers allowance as well as PIP, providing the caring duties don't contradict why you're claiming PIP. I claim CA and PIP but my caring duties do not contradict the reasons why i claim PIP. My daughter doesn't have any physical conditions like myself.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.