If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can Osteoporosis be cured?

Options
UrbanPigeon
UrbanPigeon Community member Posts: 22 Connected
Hello Everyone :)

Just wanted to know your thoughts on the subject Osteoporosis. I have had this problem myself for many years, so its nothing new to me. However I do read alot of conflicting information about whether Osteoporosis can be cured. I have read that it can not be cured and medication will only help strengthen and help increase calcium on your weakened weakened bones to prevent them from getting any worse. To me this sounds as though its curing the problem or could it be the case that if you came off your medication your bones will gradually become brittle again back to there weakened state. For some reason there just does not seem to be a definitive answer on whether Osteoporosis can be cured. Wouldn't mind knowing other peoples opinion on this.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there @UrbanPigeon and thanks for your question, this is a tricky one for us to answer, as we're not medical experts. I'd always say it's advisable to consult with your GP or another medical professional if you're curious. 

There may well be some sources of misinformation online too, which is something to be mindful of when discussing the topic. Ultimately, always consult with your GP, or get a second GP's opinion if you'd prefer :) 
    I have read that it can not be cured and medication will only help strengthen and help increase calcium on your weakened weakened bones to prevent them from getting any worse. To me this sounds as though its curing the problem or could it be the case that if you came off your medication your bones will gradually become brittle again back to there weakened state.
    It's interesting you use the phrase 'curing the problem' here. I would say what you've read explains that medication is a prevention from decline "to prevent them from getting any worse".

What I take away from what you've read, is: medication won't take the bones back to how they were without 
    Osteoporosis, but it can slow their decline.

Our bodies declining is something that's natural the older we get after all! I hope you don't mind me sharing my thoughts :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • UrbanPigeon
    UrbanPigeon Community member Posts: 22 Connected
    Options
    Hi there @UrbanPigeon and thanks for your question, this is a tricky one for us to answer, as we're not medical experts. I'd always say it's advisable to consult with your GP or another medical professional if you're curious. 

There may well be some sources of misinformation online too, which is something to be mindful of when discussing the topic. Ultimately, always consult with your GP, or get a second GP's opinion if you'd prefer :) 
    I have read that it can not be cured and medication will only help strengthen and help increase calcium on your weakened weakened bones to prevent them from getting any worse. To me this sounds as though its curing the problem or could it be the case that if you came off your medication your bones will gradually become brittle again back to there weakened state.
    It's interesting you use the phrase 'curing the problem' here. I would say what you've read explains that medication is a prevention from decline "to prevent them from getting any worse".

What I take away from what you've read, is: medication won't take the bones back to how they were without Osteoporosis, but it can slow their decline.

Our bodies declining is something that's natural the older we get after all! I hope you don't mind me sharing my thoughts :)
    I have an appointment with my rheumatologist coming up in the next few months so ill consider asking when I talk to them. I understand that the medication is there to prevent the bone problem from getting worse and even improve bone quality in some cases. I am careful of misinformation and usually only look at official medical websites like the NHS website for egsample. Most of these websites never usually give you a definitive answer. They mainly go on about what osteoporosis is, how it effects you, what to eat to help prevent it from happening and what medication you take if you have osteoporosis. It can be pretty frustrating when all you want is a straight answer "Yes" or "No" and you never get one other than a standard description of what it is. Anyways, thank you for your reply  :)
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I can understand that frustration @UrbanPigeon, and you're welcome. 

I hope your appointment with your rheumatologist goes well as when, and do keep us updated if you can :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Kalps
    Kalps Community member Posts: 75 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi UrbanP,

I too have developed Osteoporosis and my T scores are -2.5. This was due to my self medicating (Alcohol) following a severe lower spinal injury. I was initially put on Alendronic Acid tablets to be taken weekly. I persisted with these for a while but my stomach was getting upset so i asked my Rhematology consultant to switch me to the annual Zolendrate IV infusion. I had my 1st infusion on 11/05/22 and am due my 2nd next month and then 2 more years thereafter, Its a simple canula process on a drip and takes about 20 mins max. It cant cure Osteoporosis but helps/stops the bone density decline and allows Osteoclasts to strengthen bone mineral along with a calcium rich diet. I take Adcal-3, twice daily to assist this and also good quality calcium supplements.

I hope my post helps you.

Warm Regards, Kal.
    Kind Regards,

Kal
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.