Adult son moving from supported accommodation and changing to UC. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Adult son moving from supported accommodation and changing to UC.

Kitty1 Community member Posts: 46 Connected
Hello all, 

my adult son ( age 33) is moving from supported into a one bedroom flat. It is in the next town and so I think he will have to transfer to UC. He is currently on ESA support group with SDP and has high rate mobility and care PIP. He receives housing benefit at the moment. 

I did look at the calculators but I am not sure which ‘transitional protection’ he may receive, if any. Could someone advise if he is going to be better or worse off please? Thank you. 

Also, are there any grants he could apply for furniture or white goods as he has nothing coming from supported accommodation. 

Thank you 😊 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Will he be living alone or treated as living alone when he moves? If so then the SDP transitional protection for your son will be £132.12/month. This is because when he claims UC he will be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of his claim because he's in the Support Group for ESA.

    Please also be aware that the SDP TP will erode over time so when other elements increase, the TP will decrease until such a time it will erode completely.

    When he claims UC he will need to make sure he reports his health condition. When the claim is submitted he will have access to his journal so he can put a message on that telling them that he's in the Support Group for ESA.

    If he's privately renting then he'll be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate of local housing allowance.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Kitty1
    Kitty1 Community member Posts: 46 Connected
    Thank you Poppy. He will be living alone and it’s a council property. Thank you for your help. 😊


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.