A poem called X — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

A poem called X

Options
Globster
Globster Community member, Community Volunteer Host, CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 2,385 Disability Gamechanger

This is a poem I have just written for a poetry competition I have entered this poem for. I look forward to hearing what the scope online community thoughts on this poem 

A poem called X 

1. A man called Mike 

2. He was busy marking X’s in his flower gardens

3. Over a two-week period, he planted beautiful flower seeds in the holes he made with his spade which had seen a lot of work over the past years.

4. Then Mike got his hosepipe out, to give a light sprinkling on a number of times through the warm summer days in a two-week period.

5. He started giving flower nutrients supplements along with the sprinkling of watering allowing Mike to his flower seeds to begin shooting the soil.

6. Over the couple weeks the young flowers seemed to grow tall because of the natural sunlight that caring nurturing and water they received from their dear friend Mike.

7. Another two weeks had passed before the time a bud set to the time the blossom opened on the young flowers.

8. The rays, of natural sunlight the young flowers had received, had the growth of the young flowers even quicker.

9. The summer days that followed allowed the petals to open.

10. They revealed a variety of different colours of petals from yellow, blue purple and blue and pink petaled flowers.

11. The flowers stood with such proudly

12. The other wonderful creatures like a glorious and black winged butterfly opened up their radiant-looking wings to show off their beauty and were sitting on these magnificent-looking flowers.

13. There was also ladybugs whose red and black spots on their body were perched on the glowing flowers 

14. As the season of summer ended and the sun still shone brightly 

15. The songbirds could be heard singing melodiously which was soothing to his ears.

16. It brought a tear to his eye when he saw how beautiful his flowers were looking.

17. As summer came to an end.

18. The season of autumn began 

19. He watched before his eyes as all of his glorious-looking flowers began to lose their leaves.

20. Although he felt a little bit sad 

21. Mike had already gotten a plan of action on getting his flower gardens looking dazzling once again.

22. During the season of spring, he is busy getting his soil ready.

23. He covers the ground with a netting to protect the soil from the cold winter weather 

24. Mike sat at home with his pen and paper making a list of the different kinds of flowers he wanted in his gardens for next year’s season of spring,

25. During  Boxing Day sales at his local garden centre buy his seeds and flower feed.

26.  Mike had decided to sell some of the flowers that grew in his flower gardens.

27. In March and April when Spring starts once again.

28.  Marked the spots with an x of where he was going to plant his seeds for his new flowers.

29. Then he was busy planting the seeds for his flowers.

30. The months from June through June were the summer months when Mike’s flowers grew delightfully bright and vibrant colours of flowers.

31. Creatures such as flower beetles, longhorn beetles, and pollen beetles.

32. The sweet smells that came from each of the flowers were truly wonderful smells of Mike’s noise.

33. He was able to sell some of his flowers to members of the public.

34.  But he made he planted flowers that made his flower gardens look such a wonderful sight for visitors who visit his flower gardens.

35.  One day, one of Mike’s friends called Mary suggested that he should enter his flower gardens in a local competition.

36. Mike had never had the courage or confidence to enter show gardens flower contests before.

37.  Then Mike asked himself what the heck I should just go for it 

38. Over the next few weeks, Mike was busy getting his flower gardens in pristine condition ahead of the local competition for flower gardens.

39. Day and night he slept in his car in the park where his flower gardens were.

40. The day that night he had been working for had finally arrived.

41. Mike drove in his car back home to grab himself a shower and put on fresh clean clothes so he looked in a great state and smelled gorgeous with aftershave.

42. He made sure that he arrived back at his flower gardens before the judges arrived.

43. Mike was surprised that he never felt butterflies in his stomach before.

44. His friend Mary was there to help him get over his fear and nervousness.

45. Mike watched his fellow competitors go before it would be his turn to show off his flower gardens to the judges

46. The time had for Mike to show and talk to the judges about his flower gardens

47. Once the judges had taken a look at all the flower gardens 

48. The judges had to go talk through each other before deciding 

49. The judges had finally agreed on a winner.

50. Mike’s flower show gardens were declared the winner had a beaming smile on his face as received a cheque from one of the judges.

I am a Community Volunteer Host. Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Comments

• Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 21,460 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Globster Well done. Good luck with the competition you have entered.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think this is lovely @Globster it really brings to mind all the colours of spring and summer flowers, and the sounds of buzzing bees too :) 

Do you have a garden with lots of flowers in? Or a local park?

All the best for your competition, you'll have to let us know how you get on!
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Globster
    Globster Community member, Community Volunteer Host, CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 2,385 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Alex_Scope I don’t garden myself but I do see the flowers in our garden and my local park too
    i will definitely be keeping the online community updated on my progress in the poetry competition and I appreciate your kind words of good luck for the competition is greatly appreciated @Alex_Scope :)

I am a Community Volunteer Host. Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

• Globster
    Options
    @bev79 I appreciate your comment about my poem and I appreciate your good wishes for the competition I have entered this poem into  :)

• SurvivorEmpowered
    SurvivorEmpowered Posts: 56 Connected
    Options
    @bev79

A Poem of true life Experence 

Sunday 11th July 2021 

Waking up  

I wake up to the stench of me... 

Smelly all over usually finding my hair covering my face. 

My one positive no longer smelling like a dirty ashtray. 

That smell left be hide me, five years past.  

For a year whilst beating a cigarette addiction. 

Money I would have smoked, I gave to people who needed a helping hand.  

In the memory of good people who passed away who I had a lifetime of respect for  

They all supported the underdog or the lost... through wisdom and great guidance plus practical protection. 

I vowed to help others when I could get the opportunity to do so... 

I often think I was spiritually led. 

I travelled globally. 

When I came back my life was replaced by the unexpected universal credit actions... 

Put through a failing court system, I have good reason to believe unethical. 

I found myself caught up in a poverty trap... Affecting me unable to purchase the basic, essentials i.e., such items as; toiletries and all utilities i.e., gas and electric, water. Which affected my dignity over four years, no bath or shower. 

Left with long periods of no income, tireless stress which affects my health both mentally and physically. 

Unable to pay for repairs or household utilities. 

Outcast even by NHS basic amenities, not able to access a basic prescription or an eye test.  Or a doctor's practise.  

Left traumatised instead, bewildered. 

Now I try to attempt the once-a-week sweet fragrance of being clean. I have to wash in the kitchen sink as I have a high tap. 

Which I can get my head under to run the water and rinse the shampoo from my hair.  

I have upper body muscle issues, so this is truly a challenge.  

My cheeks of my bottom clenched at the thought of the ice water drenching me. Never mind the waters about to drench me practically. I empower myself by convincing myself the ice water is therapeutic.  

Just as I’m about to rinse the shampoo off. 

From my three-foot mop of yellow curly hair. 

Which is forcibly overgrown and usually unkempt. 

Know such money for such grooming luxuries. 

The floor left in pools of puddles, which is dangerous for me... 

I try to balance with my crutches at my side steadily. 

I thank God no one can see me. 

Stripped to my flesh often goose pimples to be had and seen accompanied with shivering spasms. 

At times in conditions of the unbearable cold at worst minus 5 degrees.  

At best I use my alternative improvised grey washing bowl, often placed on my bed. 

I make do with a sponge soak.  

In winter my body skin turns into the hippo s crinkly persona, I find repulsing. 

Skin falling from my dried unbathed legs, crinkly not to be seen.  

The heals of my feet, hard & cracked. My toenails curving catching and imbedding into another... 

In summer my skin becomes sore under my breasts and my bikini line. 

I smell like I’ve been swimming with a shawl of tuna fish, so uncouth.  

So, I doubt I could be desirable to the human nose or eye.  

My body left as a human should not be... without much dignity. 

Like the homeless person, who slept out in the open, tucked away in the shelter of a shops entrance. 

Their head peeking through a cardboard box trying to act invisible to society. 

Their pride slowly chipped away at. 

By most people in our community who pass bye... 

Some leaving their pity or conscience still to be had by throwing their coppers perhaps a pound or two... 

Many passing by whispering a few comments.  

The signs of community disapproving faces, security intervention.  

Insisting to move on not welcome in these places. 

Sarcie and insulting remarks. 

Out of sight out of mind. 

Now and a again homeless people shown positive token gestures, of kindness, offers of temporary shelter etc. etc..  

The shelters set up ideally to protect. 

Disappointingly due to false hope and promise, experiences, fears of bullying and thieves in those places. (Anti-social behaviour) 

Most homeless people would rather go it alone.  

Generosity shown through the eyes of an addicts, the night clubber passes bye drunk looking at their possible future fate.  

The good Samaritans action may be the only true lifeline. 

Not forgetting the humbling salvation army out on their rounds.  

Hoping to see a homeless human being get through the challenges of which may be undignified. 

Living a lifestyle often not by choice.  

Why do we out cast human beings falling on tough times? ... 

Isn’t it challenging enough daily to muddle through any indignity.  

Especially the homeless and Universal Credit victims, i now consider me as disempowered. I have little control of my fate. 

All too often we take for granted all those little necessities that we need to tick along with.  

The bar of soap a toothbrush, a clean towel to wipe or dry us off with... 

Hot and cold water to quench our thirst or wash with... 

To provide us with life! and maintain personal hygienic pride.  

I to struggle in the hope to be provided with the basics in life... 

I too once took for granted those little things that matter and felt blessed and worked hard for. 

During my travels l met a bad guy who, came to faith. 

Worked through his badness, began to aim at trying to model himself on the goodness of Gods son..  Jesus-Christ. 

Basically trying to become a better person. Every step perhaps losing the badness within, hoping the community around would eventually forgive. 

I was reminded that most of our community take most basics necessities for granted daily i.e., such as food, warmth, shelter etc.  

I was reminded to believe and keep faith; we can all eat like kings and queens.  

He was right for all I had nothing. I never went hungry. 

The kindness l showed others was replicated back... 

I believe through faith and self-belief and peoples good will, that’s how I’ve been surviving.  

I thank those people in my prays. They all know who they are, i am truly thankful. I’m sending hugs and best wishes. Wrote by Shezz Survivor Empowered 

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,115 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 21,460 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • Globster
    Options
    @Sandy_123 I appreciate your good luck message for the poetry competition  :)

• SurvivorEmpowered
    SurvivorEmpowered Posts: 56 Connected
    Options
    Up date details of this poem. It is now the first week in June 2023 the Anniversary of one of the wonder human being I've ever had the pleasure to know. So loved and never forgotten. This person taught me to stand up for one human rights encouraged me to go to Africa and follow my dream. 
    I did and I am so pleased I did, what I never realized was it was preparation for true survival back home in England. Meet Flight Sargeant Stephen Twine.
  • Globster
    Options
    Just a quick update my x poem did not get selected for the final round but near mind I have already dusted myself off and already looking forward for the next opportunity  :)

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,089 Scope online community team
    Options
    Sorry to read it didn't get selected @Globster but you've got the right attitude and I can't wait to see what else you come up with. :) 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Globster
    Options
    @Adrian_Scope
    There no need to be sorry I just use these experiences as opportunities to learn from and make my own poetry work even better next time  :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.