If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Which ESA am I on ?

Options
David_linden
David_linden Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi everyone, 
Could anyone help me finding the right answer please. I got confused which ESA am I getting? I have attached an entitlement here. I have been told different variations of what I am getting and there are different sources on interenet which did not help either. In Job centre I was told Im certainly getting income-related, others saying Im getting contribution based ESA. Also I was told I'm getting both , could it even be possible? Hope you can help, 
Thanks in advance, 

Best regards, 
David

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,097 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2023
    Options
    ESA letters are extremely poorly worded and very often very difficult to understand, even for someone like myself who has a great knowledge in the benefits system.

Your ESA appears to be entirely contributions based because the Support Group contributions based amount in 2023/24 is now £129.50/week. If it was Income Related then it would be more than that.

May i ask when your ESA claim started? do you claim any other benefits and do you live alone or with a partner?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • David_linden
    Options
    Thank you for a quick response and explanation.
    I have been receiving ESA since 2012 and additionally getting PIP standard daily and enhanced mobility. I have been living with my adult son in council house for a few years, but appears that my name is not in agreement tenancy. However I'm down in council tax payment slip. The council department were saying that they do not consider requests to add household members to a tenancy but how is that even possible if I am the reason why we got a council house. That's another puzzle to sort out. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Then your ESA will be the old contributions based rather than New style. Do you have any other income such as pensions or savings/capital of more than £16,000?
    Do you live with a partner or is it just your son?
    Can't advise about adding your son to the tenancy agreement though, sorry.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • David_linden
    Options
    Good morning poppy, 

No, I don't have any other income or savings or pensions other than CB ESA and PIP. And I do not have a partner, only my adult son lives with me. 
  • poppy123456
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Then you need to ring ESA and ask to be assessed for the Income Related top up. They will send you the ESA3 form (very long) to fill in and return with all your details.
    Please note that this is not a work capability assessment. (reviews are suspended anyway)
    Does your PIP include the daily living part? If so does your son claim a disability benefit such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care or are they registered blind? If so does anyone claim either carers allowance or carers element of UNiversal Credit for looking after you?
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.