LCWRA and self employment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCWRA and self employment

Options
jks1989
jks1989 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello,
I am new here and I hope somebody could help me with a query.

If there are two individuals on a UC credit claim

- One is self employed (gainfully) but earns below minimum income floor
- Other is LCWRA

What happens to the claim in terms of the minimum income floor because one partner cannot work and is entitled to full UC amount yet other will be subject to MIF?

Thank you in advance

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,125 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @jks1989 - & welcome to the forum. As it's a joint claim, & one partner doesn't have any earned income, then for any assessment period in which the self-employed person's income is less than their individual threshold, then the minimum income floor will be applied.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,784 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Does your partner claim either PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care? If so and you look after them for at least 35 hours per week, you can claim carers element of UC. This will then mean you will not have any work commiments and the MIF will not apply.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jks1989
    jks1989 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Thank you both for replying :) . To be honest the advice from DWP/Job Centre has been pretty bad. My partner has came out of the 12 month self employed startup period and they just said at the job centre "you're on your own now..." and will be subject to the MIF but didn't actually explain how the claim would be affected between my own situation (LCWRA) and my partners self employment. I think the main stress is not actually knowing what will and won't be paid etc!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,784 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What the MIF means is, if your earnings are £800/month and your MIF is £1,000 then your UC entitlement will be based on £1,000 and not your actual earnings. If you earn more than your MIF then your UC will be based on your actual earnings.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.