New UC Claim — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New UC Claim

Options
Wilsonwinehouse
Wilsonwinehouse Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
Morning..

Just wanted to ask some advice.

I am about to make a new claim for UC, I am registered severely sight impaired (blind) and i wanted to ask, when i do the claim, do you tell them that straight away on the claim form, does it ask you?

If so and i tell them and supply evidence, i know you have to have an assessment for the LCWRA but in the mean time, what is expected of you as a new claim, do i have to go to the jobcentre, do i have to look for work, I only ask as i cannot see so its pretty difficult.

Any advice welcome

Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,759 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you live with a partner you will need to claim as a couple. If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you’re excluded from claiming.

When you start your claim you will need to report your health condition. You will then need to send a fit note within 7 days of that and continue to send them without any gaps until a decision is made on your work capability assessment.

Usually around 29 days later they will refer you for the work capability assessment. Once this is done you’ll receive a letter on your journal telling you that have referred you. A few days after that you will receive the UC50 form. This will need to be filled in and returned with all your supporting evidence. This process can take several months. Most people have assessments which mostly take place through telephone. 

Once you’ve submitted your UC claim you will receive your first payment 1 month and 6 days later. You won’t know if there’s any entitlement until you receive your first statement, which will be about 1 month and a couple of days after you started your claim.

You can ask for an advance payment but this will need to be repaid back and reduce your future payments. 

When claiming UC you are classed as a job seeker until a decision is made on your work capability assessment. It’s a work coaches discretion whether they turn off or reduce work commitments. 

For your first appointment usually you’re expected to attend your local job centre but you can ask for a telephone appointment as a reasonable adjustment. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Wilsonwinehouse
    Options
    Thanks for getting back to me..

When you say fit note, I imagine thats something i need to get from my Dr? Can i just call them and tell them thats what i am looking for?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes your GP, pharmacist or nurse can do this so you’ll need to contact either of them. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Wilsonwinehouse
    Options
  • Wilsonwinehouse
    Options
    With regards to the fit note, is it all done in paper form, do they all need to be posted to a certain place or are the digital and can you just email them over?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    When you report your health condition, it will come up on your "to do list" to report a fit note. You can then report it on your journal. You will need to make sure you keep that fit note just incase they ask to see proof.
    When the exisiting fit note is due to expire, you'll have a message on your journal a week or so before the one expires to remind you to report another fit note. You need to make sure there are no gaps.
  • Wilsonwinehouse
    Options
    Excellent.. thank you, first time claiming for UC and being severely sight impaired, its a little daunting.

Can the Dr refuse a note, shall i just tell them that its for the new claim until i get to my assessment as such?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes you can be refused a fit note but if this happens just ask to speak to another GP or go to a pharmacist because they can write them now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.