April / May 2023 Cost of Living Payment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

April / May 2023 Cost of Living Payment

shysparkler
shysparkler Community member Posts: 26 Connected
£301 paid between 25 April 2023 and 17 May 2023 for most people on DWP benefits
I wonder how they decide when exactly you get the payment, as in do they do it by alphabetical order? Everyone whose names beginning with A getting paid 25 April 2023, then names beginning with B on 26 April 2023, etc. Or is it just truly random and you can get it any time between the days quoted above?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 52,297 Disability Gamechanger
    There was a lot of discussion about this for all the CoL payments last year and no one came up with anything that was logic. They are made at complete random.

The first CoL payment last year of £326 my daughter received hers before me and her surname is different to mine. Her first letter is later in the alphabet than mine. The 2nd CoL payment of £324, i had mine first.

You can receive it anytime within the dates above. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • shysparkler
    I see! I only joined this forum towards the end of last year and this is my first time being entitled to the cost of living payments so I missed the discussions last year.
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    You receive it when you get it
  • shysparkler
    The over-thinky part of my brain can't accept it's just random because their computer systems must use some sort of algorithm, but we just aren't privvy to enough data or information to work out what it is!

2oldcodgers said:
    You receive it when you get it

I don't know if this was an attempt at a joke but 25th April to 17th May is a big window to be waiting for and of course people want to know when they'll receive it!! For some people it'll be looking forward to being able to do a first full shop in months, others it'll repair a broken car or washing machine that they've been without for ages, or paying or debts that have built up because of rising costs. What ever it's being used for it's a lot of money that means a lot to people, of course we're eager to understand when we might receive it to help with our planning and budgeting!!
    You're so right! My brain also overthinks it and wonders a lot about their systems, and yes it would be nice to have a clear date to help with budgeting
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 52,297 Disability Gamechanger
    I think with the amount of people that are entitled to the payment it would be impossible to give an exact date when everyone will receive it. My thoughts are they pay a certain amount each day.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • MrWright
    MrWright Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
    You would of thought they pay people on less income first then ones on more income later on between them dates.

Be easier doing it this way on system lowest to highest. 🙂

But it prob done by surname alphabetically, sucks to be me if so cause right at back of list. 🤣
    Community connected by disability.

Make friends, share your experiences, get advice you need, and discuss issues that matter to you.
  • afgzee
    afgzee Community member Posts: 26 Connected
    MrWright said:
    You would of thought they pay people on less income first then ones on more income later on between them dates.

But it prob done by surname alphabetically, sucks to be me if so cause right at back of list. 🤣
    My surname starts with A and I haven't received it yet so it's very unlikely done that way. I think it's just random. 
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    MrWright said:

Payment is random. Everyone that is entitled will get it within the next 3 weeks

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.