If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP after pension age.

Options
andymcspoon
andymcspoon Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi all, first post here and looking for information please.
I've been in receipt of PIP for nine years (enhanced daily, standard mobility) and I reached pension age in December 2022.

I've read various quotes about what happens after pension age that state: "If you’re already getting PIP when you reach State Pension age, the DWP will turn it into an indefinite award." 

I got an award review letter yesterday that is identical to the one I got pre-pension (two years ago) and was wondering what to do? Was it sent in error or is the information I've read wrong?

I tried ringing them but gave up after four hours of waiting.

Grateful for any advice please.  :)
Andy
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There's no indefinite PIP awards. The longest award is 10 years with a light touch review. Not all those of state pension age will receive this award. It will only apply to those whose conditions are unlikely to change.

The letter you received yesterday could have been the annual uprating letter.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • andymcspoon
    Options
    Thanks Poppy, I didn't know that it didn't apply to everyone of pension age.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "uprating letter"?
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Every year in April benefit rates go up by a certain percentage, this year it’s 10.1% so the uprating letter will simply be explaining this and what your future payments will be. If you have not already received this earlier in the year, this will be it.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    When is your current award due to end?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • andymcspoon
    Options
    Ah, no it's definitely not an uprating letter then, I think I had that a while ago.
    This is the "it's time to review your award" letter with the full questionnaire attached.
    My previous award is due to end in July this year.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Then you need to fill out the form and send any additional evidence with it. Not everyone of state pension age will automatically have their award increased to 10 years without a review.
  • andymcspoon
    Options
  • HMcC
    HMcC Scope Member Posts: 12 Listener
    Options
    Can I ask a question based on the pension age and PIP please?
    I was awarded PIP in December 2022 for 10 years. I reach state pension age this year in September 2023. Will I be able to reclaim PIP after the 10 year period, provided I'm still alive! Or does it change into a different benefit. Many thanks in advance.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    HMcC said:
    Can I ask a question based on the pension age and PIP please?
    I was awarded PIP in December 2022 for 10 years. I reach state pension age this year in September 2023. Will I be able to reclaim PIP after the 10 year period, provided I'm still alive! Or does it change into a different benefit. Many thanks in advance.

As you already have a PIP award this will continue past state pension age for as long as you remain entitled to it.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.