Ultrasound scan — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Ultrasound scan

Options
Wibbles
Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,607 Pioneering
I have to have an ultrasound scan of my shoulders to confirm Rotator Cuff injury
Are they normally done standing or lying down?
I am unable to stand up!! 

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm afraid I have no idea @Wibbles, can you contact your GP surgery/hospital (I'm not sure where you're having the scan) to ask them for more details? 

They should be able to accommodate your needs if you make them aware that you're unable to stand :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Wibbles
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I'm afraid I have no idea @Wibbles, can you contact your GP surgery/hospital (I'm not sure where you're having the scan) to ask them for more details? 

They should be able to accommodate your needs if you make them aware that you're unable to stand :)

I only saw my GP yesterday, the appointment was made this morning
    I was hoping that someone, on this site may have had a similar problem ?
    I don't yet know which hospital is carrying out the scan - or how long the actual scan takes ?
  • Wibbles
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Purrrrrrr said:
    I have had one on my shoulders and was sitting down.   I can't see how they would even do it standing, if the person was very short or tall the scanner would have problems. Plus they have to watch the monitor the whole time 

@Purrrrrrr
    Thanks
    I had a shoulder xray a few months ago and that WAS standing  up
    I struggled for the 30 secs that that took
    I understand that ultrasounds take considerably longer
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,659 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Ultrasounds can be done sat down or lying down. There's usually an adjustable bed in the room.  They take longer than Xrays but i won't say considerably longer, it can all be done in just a few minutes.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 755 Pioneering
    Options
    Before my surgery for Rotator Cuff, and post surgery all scans and xrays were done sitting down

i guess it's all down to the radiographer ?  Or the hospital ?  I had mine done at the RJ&AH Orthapaedic Hospital, Gobowen. 

Fantastic place
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts everyone :) I thought it must be the case that they can do it sitting down, but not having anything similar myself, I didn't want to assume.

Hope it goes well when it comes to it @Wibbles
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Wibbles
    Options
    WelshBlue said:
    Before my surgery for Rotator Cuff, and post surgery all scans and xrays were done sitting down

i guess it's all down to the radiographer ?  Or the hospital ?  I had mine done at the RJ&AH Orthapaedic Hospital, Gobowen. 

Fantastic place
    How long was your arm out of action after the op? 
  • Wibbles
    Options
    Wibbles said:
    WelshBlue said:

Fantastic place
    How long was your arm out of action after the op? I need both doing! 
  • WelshBlue
    Options
    Wibbles said:

How long was your arm out of action after the op? 
    I had the joint cleaned out and bone shaved at the same time.  Was driving again after 4 weeks once the sling came off and recovery took 3 ish months. 

It's not pleasant, but also not the worst pain I've had.  My range of movement is vastly improved.

Good luck
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 563 Pioneering
    Options
    @Wibbles Please stop worrying! They will find a way to deal with you, after all they are the experts! I cannot stand, nor can I lay down and I shake (that doesn't help when getting a scan) but I have had every scan under the sun including scans where they have warned me it will be a noisy and frightening experience. But it has all come good in the end. So please don't worry. Everything will be fine, I absolutely promise you.
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 355 Pioneering
    Options
    An ultrasound scan is easier to do than an xray or mri scan because you can move during an ultrasound but have to keep very still for the other two

You should be able to sit or lie down.

I had a rotator cuff repair surgery last summer.  4 tears repaired and bones shaved and spurs taken off.

The first few days are quite painful but I found the worst thing was wearing the sling all the time, even in bed.

I had to wear the sling for 6 weeks but I think it varies depending on the actual surgery done.

I'm not in as much pain now but the arm and shoulder is still quite weak.

Making sure you do your physio exercises afterwards is very important in order to benefit from the operation. 
  • Wibbles
    edited April 2023
    Options
    The problem was caused by my poor mobility in the first place
    I cannot walk and have to crawl on the floor after lowering myself on my hands and knees
    This is due to knees that have gone (I had a knee replacement 6 years ago) - the tendons have stretched beyond the point of repair 
    So this has damaged my shoulders and any op will just repair it temporarily!! 
    The surgeon has written me off
  • Wibbles
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Gees, Wibbles, that's a tough gig! Please don't give up hope - a surgeon told me when I broke my legs that I'd be in a wheelchair by the time I'm 40. 53 now and still dodging it at the moment! I honestly believe that (with the best of knowledge and intentions) they cannot ALWAYS be right and your own personal body and mental strength may ultimately help decide. None of us knows how the future goes, we can just take the help offered, do our best and keep looking forwards. I truly wish you all the best x

Thanks - but everytime, I manage to improve (It started with a head injury, 33 years ago) - something else gets worse parkinsonism, mobility, memory, diahorrea, bladder problems, lack of speech & handwriting, heart problems- this is just a very long line of health problems !
    I will be 60 in 4 month time - I act 20, look 40 but feel 80
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This sounds really difficult and frustrating @Wibbles, especially being written off by the surgeon  :( Would anything help at the moment?  <3
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • WelshBlue
    Options
    ShirleyW said:

Making sure you do your physio exercises afterwards is very important in order to benefit from the operation. 
    This.

My surgeon put in a complaint to my LHB because they wanted to do it over the phone. 
    In the end I had to do 110 mile round journeys to the orthapaedic hospital for my sessions

Ironically enough they used ultrasound in a therapeutic way to promote healing

Take care
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That made me chuckle @Wibbles. Unfortunately, though, I cannot send you a new body and brain  :p How have you been feeling about everything more recently?  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.