Advanced Learner Loan — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advanced Learner Loan

Bubbly1
Bubbly1 Community member Posts: 22 Listener
edited April 2023 in Education
Hi I am currently received old style ESA, Housing Benefit and PIP but I would like to do a part time college course which involves 4 hours per week volunteering as well as 6 hours per week (one day) at college. Would this affect my benefits and can I have an Advanced Learner Loan? 
Tagged:

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hiya @Bubbly1. Unfortunately, I can only respond to part of your question. I am hoping someone else can respond to you regarding if it would affect your benefits.

In terms of whether you can have an advanced learner loan, you can have an advanced learner loan if:

• You are 19 or older on the first day of your course
    • Your course is a level 3, 4, 5 or 6 qualification, for example A Levels or graduate certificate
    • At an approved college or training provider in England
    • Living in the UK on the first day of your course
    • A UK national or Irish citizen or have 'settled status' (no restrictions on how long you can stay)
    • Have been living in the UK, British overseas territories, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years in a row before the first day of the first academic year of your course (apart from temporary absences such as holidays)
    Please see the Government website for more detail on your eligibility for an advanced learner loan.

Having previously received an advanced learner loan, and knowing it gets paid directly to the educational setting, it should not affect benefits (particularly PIP).

PIP is more about not contradicting the reasons you receive PIP. I am less certain if it affects housing benefit or ESA. Hopefully, someone else can respond to you about this.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else we can do to support you with this. Just out of curiosity, what are you planning to do for your course and volunteering?  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 52,406 Disability Gamechanger
    Advanced learner loans to pay for fees will not affect any means tested benefits like ESA and housing benefit. The only loans that affect them are maintenance loans, if there's a loan available to you then it will affect means tested benefits, even if you decide not to take that loan.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for clarifying that for me Poppy  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Bubbly1
    That’s great, thank you so much as always Poppy and to you too L. Volunteer, so helpful. I would like to do a counselling course as I can’t do very much physically but want to keep motivated mentally and volunteer if I can somewhere via Zoom or telephone 
  • L_Volunteer
    Those sound like great plans @Bubbly1. Do you think you might be able to achieve those and do you have any thoughts, feelings or questions about those at the moment?  :)

• Bubbly1
    I’m not sure but I hope to try 
  • L_Volunteer
    Trying is the best thing you could do @Bubbly1! Please feel free to let us know how it goes  :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.