Holiday — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Holiday

Options
fireball27
fireball27 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I am a single parent disabled 63 year old Dad to a 15 year old boy. He has never in his lifetime ever been on holiday with me because of finances. I'm on PIP, DLA high rate, receive child tax credits etc. We exist, just.
My estranged brother has suddenly and unexpectedly offered to pay for a holiday for us. Please how do I stand from the point of view of DWP? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,395 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2023
    Options
    You said you claim PIP and DLA but that’s not possible because you can’t claim both at the same time. Either way, it’s 13 weeks for either benefit.

Its 8 weeks for tax credits. 

What other benefits do you claim exactly? Different benefits have different rules.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    how long will the holiday be for?

@fireball27  welcome to scope

2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• fireball27
    Options
    Poppy 123456 and Woodbine thank you for your replies and apologies for my belated response. I anticipated a notification. Poppy, sorry I am on Eesa and PIP as well as in receipt of CTC and Child Benefit. 
    I only anticipate a week in France. My concern was do I have to declare such a gift? Is it allowed? My brother has also mentioned my debt and offered to help. How do we stand? Many thanks for all replies. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,395 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A weeks holiday in France will not affect any of your benefits and you do not need to tell them your going away.
    If your brother helps pay your debt then he can pay them directly and then it won't affect your benefits. Even if he gave you the money, it will be classed as capital, not earnings so won't affect your benefits, providing it's less than £6,000.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • fireball27
    Options
    Poppy 123456. Thank you so much.
  • bobby123
    bobby123 Community member Posts: 190 Courageous
    Options
    Just on this, if you are on universal credit and pip and you go on holiday for a week do you have to inform any of them
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    bobby123 said:
    Just on this, if you are on universal credit and pip and you go on holiday for a week do you have to inform any of them
    In your case, no.
  • bobby123
    bobby123 Community member Posts: 190 Courageous
    Options
    bg844 said:
    bobby123 said:
    In your case, no.
    In what circumstances do you need to tell them then
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2023
    Options
    bobby123 said:
    In what circumstances do you need to tell them then
    PIP is if you’ll be away for more than 13 weeks, as above.

UC is one month and you’d need to notify if you had commitments to fulfil (eg you are a job seeker) as you must still complete these requirements whilst away. There’s nothing stopping you notifying them anyway but in your case it won’t make a difference.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.