If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP & LCWRA

Options
ikaufy
ikaufy Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi just after some advice plz. My name is Ian I am 50 I have C.P and epilepsy along with my mental health. I have recently been awarded my full PIP (enhanced on both sections) after 8 months of waiting. While awaiting my outcome I have been claiming single person UC and I have also been receiving the LCWRA. Could anyone please confirm if now my PIP has been awarded will they stop my UC and LCWRA. I'm not to clued up on the benefits system and someone has told me that what I have been getting each month will now stop because I'm in receipt of my full PIP.  I really hope this is not the case it's got me quite anxious worrying about the possibility of a reduction. Hopefully the person that informed me that this might happen has got it wrong. I just hope someone on here could explain if it's right.  Thanks Ian advance. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,094 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Who ever gave you this advice is incorrect. LCWRA is part of UC. PIP is a completely different benefit that isn't means tested. You'll continue to receive your UC as normal, with your PIP paid every 4 weeks.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ikaufy
    Options
    Poppy Thank you so much for your comment. If I am correct in my understanding you are telling me that I will still receive the monthly amount I have been for my UC/LCWRA plus also my full entitlement to PIP. If that is correct I am really happy. That would mean my level of payment each month and my backdated PIP I've received would put an end to my financial worries and help me to focus on sorting out my anxiety and psychosis . Plus it will make my C.P more manageable.   Thanks again 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Your thoughts are correct. Don’t forget about the cost of living payment of £301 coming between tomorrow and 17th May. This will be because you’re claiming UC. Assuming you received a payment for an assessment period that ended between 26th Jan and 25th Feb 2023. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • ikaufy
    Options
    Thank you so much I had forgotten about that. All I have been focused on is getting the result of my PIP assessment. Thankfully I got it through last week with a nice little deposit in my bank for the back pay from Sep 2022. I'm useless when it comes to understanding this benefits system it's so confusing especially when you're condition is like mine. I'm in the process now of seeing if it would be worth while applying for my mum to get my carers allowance. Only she is a bit worried it would impact her state pension. She's 72 and she works so hard giving me all the care and support she can. I just don't want to apply and it impact her financial. Knowing I'm going to finally get what I am entitled to though will make our situation better. Sorry to go on ...but you wouldn't know what ongoing award means would you as my award doesn't have a review date it just states ongoing. If you don't know it's fine you have helped me enough already and I am very grateful for your kind support. Thanks 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You’re very welcome. Ongoing award means 10 years. This is the longest PIP award.

For your mum to claim carers allowance because she’s state pension age if her state pension is more than £76.75/week then she can’t be paid carers allowance because it’s an overlapping benefit. 

She will have an underlying entitlement to it. This means it can increase other benefits like pension credit or she could become entitled to it for the first time because it will include the carers premium in the calculation. Whether there’s any entitlement will depend on her circumstances. Does she live with a partner? If so are they also state pension age or above? 
  • ikaufy
    Options
    No she's on her own I'm not sure what her amount of state pension is but I can find out.

? Can someone that is working like my aunty receive my carers allowance, and would that have any financial implications or her income or my benefits.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It would help to find out how much your mums state pension is and whether she has any other income such as pensions or savings/capital. 

Does your mum rent or own her home?

For your auntie to claim carers allowance she mustn’t earn more than £139/week from earnings. https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility
  • ikaufy
    Options
    Mums home is a council property. She's visiting friends this week but she will be home Friday so I will find out from her then. Thanks so much for your time and help. You've really helped put my mind at ease. especially explaining that ongoing means 10 yr award.
    Those assessments are so stressful and draining I was worried I'd have to go through it all year on year. So glad I will have some breathing space to make myself a better life style and a more manageable one. 
    Thank you Poppy
    Your advice has been amazing 😁
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You’re welcome, glad I was able to put your mind at rest 😁
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.