One good thing about music, when it hits, you feel no pain… — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

One good thing about music, when it hits, you feel no pain…

Options
GF1007
GF1007 Scope Member Posts: 33 Connected
Every day I listen to music... Since I was knee high I can recall my mum having music on. After leaving school and starting work was where it personally all took off for me though.  I had my own money and I could listen to exactly what I like. My first love and still my main love is the AOR genre but I also have jazz, folk, metal, country, blues, dance, indie, classical, pop, soul, rock and other genres in my collection.
It has to be tangible... I have to literally feel my music. I do feel downloads and streaming have their place but there is nothing like having your own physical music collection imho. I love cassettes, CDs and vinyl. My main love is CD though. Whilst they are not as popular as they once were I know their worth and as well as being a collector since the late 80's I've also been a seller since the 90's. Something which has come in handy as I currently don't have a job.
So, every day I listen to music - stuff being weeded for selling, stuff most definately not being weeded for selling and even the odd new discovery I've picked up here and there.
I find that when the music's good it certainly helps me deal with my pain and that's always a welcome relief.

Comments

• WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 764 Pioneering
    Options
    I'm with you.  I'm a collector too of all and every genres.
    Different days different moods determines what I listen to

Music and family have stopped me from stepping off from this world.

One of my 'be kind to myself' goals set by my Psychologist is 2 hours a day of music

I always enjoy discovering new (to me) artists.  So much talent out there besides the 'main stream artists'
  • GF1007
    GF1007 Scope Member Posts: 33 Connected
    Options
    Thanks for your comment @WelshBlue. Firstly, I'm so glad to read that music brings you happiness. As it should for all of us.
    There's so much more music to be discovered beyond the mainstream that I find it hard to understand how some folk just live with the charts and what the radio stations force feed at times. Still, each to their own. I'm glad to read you are like me - finding enjoyment in discovering new artists/bands. 
    Like you I sometimes have days where my mood or even physical conditions determines what I listen too. Today it's prog rock/metal. Something to think about and get lost in. Yesterday it was quiet storm and some folk (what a mix haha) and tomorrow it could be completely odd with alt. rock, jazz and soft rock haha. Love it.
    Again, thank you for your comment and take care.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.