school curriculum to teach boys how to respect women — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

school curriculum to teach boys how to respect women

Options
Sandy_123
Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,945 Disability Gamechanger
From a debate from the  jeremy vine show, this is the new proposal,  be intresting on your thoughts

school curriculum to teach boys how to respect women 11 votes

Should be taught at home by parents
63%
tommwoodbineLuna51Sandy_123Steve_in_The_CityBeaver79Wilshyboy 7 votes
Should be both genders
36%
66MustangGrinchydaresbury1978WelshBlue 4 votes
Should be curriculum for boys
0%

Comments

• vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,446 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
             All children should be taught to respect everyone. It starts and finishes with parents.
  • Sandy_123
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I agree with parenting 1st, the debate this morning was that some parents are not teaching it. I do it with my grandchildren. 
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,446 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
     Many years ago my son decided to disrespect his then girlfriend... I ripped him to pieces in front of all his friends and made sure whoever else was listening I wasn't happy. To this day he doesn't know why he did it because he knew it was wrong but he never did it again. His then girlfriend is now his wife and mother to my 2 beautiful grandchildren so he must have grovelled to her and learnt his lesson. 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,656 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Everyone should be taught to respect everyone else.  If the parents don't respect everyone else, they're not going to teach that to their kids.  So I'd say some school input would be a good idea as well.
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    @vikingqueen that's nice to read that they got married with children 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,759 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's something that for both genders should be taught at home by parents setting a good example, thats how I learnt to respect any and every one

2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Sandy_123
    edited April 2023
    Options
    @OverlyAnxious yes everyone should be taught it 
    Its difficult really, if parents have no intentions of teaching it then maybe, like you say schools should teach on it
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,759 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sadly schools have very little (if any) spare room in the teaching day
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• daresbury1978
    daresbury1978 Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
    Options
    Should be both genders
    How the wider society operates should offer clear messages about respect for women. Sadly, there is still a confusion about messages - some good but far too many inadequate. 
  • WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 764 Pioneering
    Options
    Should be both genders
    Having kids who have worked as a Paramedic and a Teacher ... both genders, need lessons

Respect in general seems to be lacking in some.  My daughter the Paramedic gets more verbal and physical abuse from young women/ girls, my son the ex-Teacher got more abuse from young boys  

Some parents bring their kids up, some drag their kids up ... some will have kids with respect, some will be lil' bar stewards ... it doesn't always follow the one's 'bringing' their kids up will have the respectful ones?

Interesting topic.  Not sure what the best way forward is
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    I personally think there is a lot of disrespect in general. 
  • WelshBlue
    Options
    Should be both genders
    Sandy_123 said:
    I personally think there is a lot of disrespect in general. 
    Agreed.  Across all ages.  I always hold doors open - usually the younger generation always say thanks. 50% of older don't. The olders look at me like I'm going to mug them.  o:)
  • Sandy_123
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I find it the other way round, was pushing my grandaughter in the pram and was a narrow bit, the younger guys didn't stop, but an older guy did and said cmon love. Lol
    I always say thanks if someone holds the door etc
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Should be both genders
    Nice to see Mysandry is alive and well.

I don't support Mysogny or Mysandry.

But I also don't support the argument that all women are perfect and all men are evil.

I know a male who is a victim of abuse by his girlfriend. This is just as serious as a man abusing a woman. Yet many would just laugh at him.
  • WelshBlue
    Options
    Should be both genders
    66Mustang said:

I know a male who is a victim of abuse by his girlfriend. This is just as serious as a man abusing a woman. Yet many would just laugh at him.
    The one patient who has stuck in my daughters mind from her training in Liverpool was being called out to a male domestic abuse victim ... he knew she would end up really hurting him or worse, but couldn't bring himself to leave her.  Broke my heart when she told me she held him and they both sobbed together. Tragic

I try to treat others as I like to be treated ... disrespect me once, no second chance.  Treat me well and I'd give you the shirt off my back

There's good and bad in society - young, middle, old/ male, female, other genders and from all walks of life.  At the age of 56 I still can't decide if respect stems from nature or nurture.  Whether some of us just have it, as common decency

As for schools teaching it ... may be hard when some of the parents have zero respect for the teachers, let alone the kids ?
  • daresbury1978
    daresbury1978 Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
    Options
    Should be both genders
    I am sure that abuse can be directed towards both males and females by their partners though I think that the statistics suggest that it is women who are most likely to be abused by their male partners or other males. None of us is perfect of course. I think we must avoid seeing respect as deserved on narrow "moral" grounds i.e. that only the perfectly behaved deserve respect.
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 21,345 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Should be taught at home by parents.
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    In an ideal world it should be, I would of thought anyway
  • WelshBlue
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Should be both genders
    Sandy_123 said:
    In an ideal world it should be
    Ideally.  Sadly too many parents are not setting boundaries ?  Finding it funny to see their kids swearing etc in social settings 

I live in a small town of 2,500 people and see it getting worse.  Parents kicking off if someone approaches them about their child's behaviour.  Bullying.  Assaults.  The police being next to useless, actively trying to get people not to press charges because a child will have a record

It's illegal to smack a child, but a slap on the hand never hurt mine.  I couldn't wish for more well adjusted, kind kids.  Both take the time to give a meal and sit with homeless people just for a chat as an example

• Sandy_123
    Options
    Yes my kids are the same @WelshBlue my daughter cycled 53 miles to Brighton for homeless charity few years ago. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.