Rent increase advice please on universal credit

sam61
sam61 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited April 2023 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello,

Hope all is well. I would appreciate some advice regarding universal credit/ housing element/ eviction/ help from council.

I am a single mum of two ( 17 years old son + 10 years old daughter).

I am claiming universal credit and entitled to Limited Capability for Work and Work-Related Activity (LCWRA) since last year. I was a working mum before that. I am now deaf with debilitating health condition.

I rent privately from an estate agent in London, which keeps asking for an increase in rent every year as per rent increase special clause in the contract as they say. I am in a fixed assured tenancy agreement that ends in June this year. 

My current rent is £1550 and they want a 7% increase, which I can't afford. My son is 17 years old and going to university next year.

I will be entitled to 2 bedroom allowance when my son leaves and that will leave me with a big top up on the rent I can't possibly afford. 

The landlady refused any negotiation regards the 7% increase and said is final.

I am a good tenant and paid my rent never a day late by standing order. I tolerated a big damp issues in the flat. My flat is quite old and in needs of so much maintenance. I dont complain as i am too ill to chase and quite grateful i have a roof and safe home for me and my children. My home is my safe place that keeps me safe through all my hard days. I am very stressed by the situation. 

I explained my health and asked kindly to reduce the increase, but, landlady refused. It looks as she's ready to evict me. I have lived in my current flat for 4 years. I communicate via emails as I am deaf so I have everything in my  email. 

I don't have any family support and my health is not helping in any way. What are my options here please?

Thank you for your time and help, i would very much appreciate it. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 60,306 Championing
    Your Landlord can't just evict you, they will need to go through the correct procedure first and this can take many many months.

There’s many private landlords increasing the rent so you’re not alone there. 

You can have a look at applying for a Discretionary Housing payment (DHP) it needs to be claimed from your Local Authority. (not DWP) It's not guaranteed and if awarded it's usually only for a short period of time. Then you’ll need to reapply. You should get some help filling out the forms because they are quite complex. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/claiming-discretionary-housing-payments/claiming-discretionary-housing-payments
    You should also look at putting your name down you the social housing list. Please also be aware that the waiting list could be many years. You can also contact shelter for housing advice.