If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Eligibility for cost of living payment?

Options
System
System Posts: 114 Scope online community team
edited May 2023 in Cost of living

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• propol
    propol Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Hi 
    I’m not sure about eligibility for the cost of living payment. My first assessment period was from 6/2/2023 to 7/3/2023 and I received UC payments for this period and since. Do I qualify or does my assessment period have to have ended on 26/2/2023. I’ve been on line but can’t make any sense of it. I also get PIP at the standard rates and have just been awarded LCWRA from 7/3/2023
    thanks
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @propol, to help everyone find your question more easily, I've made it into it's own discussion. I've found the following information on the Gov.uk website:
    Universal Credit

You are eligible for the first Cost of Living Payment of £301 if you were entitled to a payment (or later found to be entitled to a payment) of Universal Credit for an assessment period that ended in the period 26 January 2023 to 25 February 2023.

Income-based JSA, income-based ESA, Income Support and Pension Credit

You are eligible for the first Cost of Living Payment of £301 if you were entitled to a payment (or later found to be entitled to a payment) of income-based JSA, income-related ESA, Income Support or Pension Credit for any day in the period 26 January 2023 to 25 February 2023.
    You are also eligible if you are entitled to one of these benefits for any day during this period but you do not receive a benefit payment because your entitlement is between 1 penny and 9 pence.

From the sound of it, as your assessment period ended on 7 March 2023, that would mean you aren't eligible unfortunately. I don't know if you would come under Income-based JSA, ESA etc?

Let us know if we can help further :) 

Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • propol
    Options
    Thanks for that. Since my post I’ve been doing a bit of research. I am receiving PIP and LCWRA. The former from august 2022 and the latter(just awarded 7 March 2023). I made the initial claim for UC on 9/1/2023 by telephone but due to my disabilities I didn’t get the online application finished until 6/2/2023 when my assessment began
    As I was only a few days out I contacted UC to explain the unavoidable delay. They have now referred the matter to a decision maker team. I’ll let you know the outcome. Meantime if anyone has any advice please post 
    thanks
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,125 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If your assessment periods are 6th to 5th of each month then you will not be entitled to this CoL payment. I don’t believe decision makers have any discretion to override the eligibility criteria. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • propol
    Options
    thanks for that Poppy
    I’m sure you’re right. However it would appear that the inability to question/appeal eligibility for such a benefit might be illegal under statute. In any event I’ll post on here further when I have heard back from them 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.