contributions based esa support group and pip — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

contributions based esa support group and pip

Options
ja_bu
ja_bu Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi there,
I am in the above two what do I do if my savings go above 6000. Is it ok to leave it if it goes over (as of not means tested..?) Do I spend it on needed items, please advise what are need items.
My best regards,
James

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,395 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    None of those benefits are means tested so having savings above £6,000 will not affect any of them. However, if any part of your ESA is Income Related then for every £250 or part there of over £6,000 there's a deduction of £1/week in your ESA. This also applies to housing benefit.

If you're claiming council tax reduction then all local Authorities have their own savings rule. Some have a maximum savings limit of £6,000 before entitlement to CTR ends.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ja_bu
    Options
    Hi Poppy yes its pip and contributions based ESA.

Ok thank you Poppy. Lastly what about the housing benefit / HMRC elements. Would that have to be under 6000 ~ total between us (wife.) 3000 each for example -  Wife works part time, 14 hours a week.

Thank you!
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,025 Scope online community team
    Options
    Once your combined savings are above £6000 you would need to report this to housing benefit@ja_bu. Unless you're over pension age, savings of over £6,000 usually affect housing benefit. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    Options
    HMRC elements? If you mean tax credits then they are not affected by savings.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • ja_bu
    Options
    Thank you so much Poppy and Adrian
    So it's housing only then 🙏
    Is this whether I'm jointly with housing with my partner or it doesn't matter, how will it be deducted; the £1 off every 250.00 after over 6000

If I go over this threshold Can I spend the excessive pip money on needed things if this arrises to not go over the 6000 threshold.

Best wishes

James
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It doesn't matter if it's joint or single the savings limit is still the same. For every £250 or part there of over £6,000 there's a £1/week deduction. You can spend your money on anything you want to. What ever is left after the period it's paid for becomes savings, which then affect means tested benefits, if more than £6,000.
    Savings of less than £6,000 are ignored. Don't forget that if you're claiming council tax reduction then the savings limit is different for every local council and some may have a maximum savinga limit of £6,000.
  • ja_bu
    Options
    Hi Poppy
    I feel you know the benefit system well. Have you had much experience with housing especially, and is it just that straight forward in your experience. That Housing will just deduct the £1 if over £250 savings, and will ask for bank statements etc
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I have a lot of personal experience with the benefits system. 
    ja_bu said:
    That Housing will just deduct the £1 if over £250 savings, and will ask for bank statements etc

That's not correct. The savings limit isn't £250, It's £6,000. There's a £1/week deduction for every £250 (or part there of) over £6,000. For example, if you have £6,100 savings they will deduct £1/week. If you have £6,300 savings they will deduct £2/week. They may ask for bank statements.

If your savings are less than £6,000 you do not need to tell them.
  • ja_bu
    Options
    Hi Poppy!
    Thank you!
    Yes I did mean 250 over the 6000. Though like you kindly said this could be 125  etc.

Thank you again.
    Once/if I need to declare I will need to produce a bank statement.

Best wishes for the day!

James
  • Community_Scope
    Community_Scope Posts: 980 Scope online community team
    Options

Note from online community team:

Where possible we like all discussions to continue, but we’re choosing to pause this discussion for now so things can cool down and we can review it. For more information, please read our online community house rules.

We will review it and if we are satisfied the discussion can continue, we will hope to un-pause it as soon as possible.

• Community_Scope
    Community_Scope Posts: 980 Scope online community team
    Options

Note from online community team:

Hello @Whymeiwonder2@poppy123456 and @Purrrrrrr

We just want to let you know we’ve deleted your comments because they were not civil, safe or supportive. For more information about why we removed this, please consider our online community house rules.

Following review, we have now unpaused this discussion.

Please remember that all discussions on Scope’s online community should remain civil, supportive, and safe.

All the best,

Online community team

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.