Hi — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.


Tinkers Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi just need a bit of advice please, i have degenerative osteoarthritus in multiple of joints, and 60 yrs old i get LCWRA in Universal Credit and the Standard Daily Living in PIP and husband works 15hrs a week and i think he would be over the limit to claim carers but we still get help from Universal Credit. What i would like to know is would i be able to get help with getting a riser recline chair as im finding it a bit difficult getting of the settee at times especially if i am having a flare up of my conditions and need a high back to help with the pain i get in my back, neck and joints. Could i have help in how go about this please and who to approach, i also feel i may need a wheeled walker with a seat as standing while cooking is giving me pain and feel the need to sit down at times just for preparation depending on what meal i cook.
Look forward to seeing suggestions that leads me on the right path.
Many thanks.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,769 Disability Gamechanger
    As you're claiming UC as well as daily living PIP then your husband can claim carers element of UC for looking after you. There's no earnings limit with this like there is with carers allowance and you don't need to claim carers allowance to be entitled to the carers element.

    To claim it he will need to report a change of circumstances. Then click caring for someone and tell them he cares for you for at least 35 hours per week. Your UC will then increase by £185.86/month.

    I'm not aware of there being any grants for a reclining chair. For a walker and any other aids you can refer yourself for a needs assessment from your local Authority. An Occupational Therapist will then come out and assess your needs. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tinkers
    Tinkers Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for the information Poppy


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.