Nostalgia — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Nostalgia

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,909 Disability Gamechanger
Sorry if this has been done before but I don't remember it.

Things that invoke nostalgia?

For me it's often smells that I associate with something. I could remember the smell of grandparents' houses even though I have not been there for 20 years for example.

Also songs that I listened to when I was younger.

What about you?

Comments

• Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 21,345 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I remember my mother playing the piano when I was a child. It lived in the sitting room and you always knew when my mother was in there as she always played a little tune. I do not have a piano in my house do not really have the room.
  • WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 764 Pioneering
    Options
    Cars.  We went to a car show yesterday ... fell in love with this ..

along with about half a million £ worth of other vehicles

And music.  No matter the song from my past I can picture memories.  Which is strange as I can't remember what I did last week ... 
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,446 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2023
    Options
          The smell of diesel.. it meant my dad was home for the weekend. He was a long distance haulage driver away Monday to Friday. The smell of his overalls made me so happy. Might sound weird to some people but all these years later the smell still makes me smile  :)
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @Beaver79 that's a lovely memory, thank you for sharing.

@WelshBlue what a beautiful car, and a lovely colour! My Grandparents had one of those brand new in yellow. :) I randomly "Googled" the number plate a few months ago and came across a picture of the exact car online so it is still on the road.

@vikingqueen I can understand that, not silly at all IMO. The smell of an old petrol engine running actually makes me nostalgic. Now I am going to embarrass myself as I am meant to like cars but I have no idea what changed to make them not smell as nice. Was it the loss of the carburettor? Maybe someone else knows?
  • WelshBlue
    Options
    It is a beautiful car.  The Rover TC 2000's were beautiful too, as were the saabs and the ... everything.  I was like a kid in a sweetshop.

Cars have lost their identities.  Gone are the days of individual looks, or when you could tell the car by the sound of it's engine note.  A twin Weber carb' ,,, and that smell you mention. 
    Now it's £80 to plug it in for a diagnostic and no H/L to tinker with on the carb' to make it scream

Even chainsaws these days are tuned by computer not by ear

• 66Mustang
    Options
    Most just care about miles per gallon these days for some reason and whether they can plug their phone in and use FaceBook on the car's computer.

That said in a few decades when we are all sitting in electric boxes without a steering wheel I reckon we will look back onto the 2010s and 2020s and think we didn't know we were born. :D
  • Wilshyboy
    Wilshyboy Community member Posts: 251 Pioneering
    Options
    My first car was a 1964 B reg Austin Mini with the long gearstick where you had to jiggle the stick about and hope you were in the right gear, it also had the starter button on the floor. Brings back happy memories of driving a proper car. I look at the cars on the road today and they all look the same.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!

P.S. Nice to see some more people with cars in their avatar. :D 
  • Superbetty
    Superbetty Community member Posts: 448 Pioneering
    Options
    @Beaver79 that is beautiful memory...I cannot play piano, but I would love to learn, always promise myself that I will learn oneday, just need to find money first:-) Love the sound of piano, it is simply beautiful.
    It will be quite standard response, but...photos:-) Whenever I tidy our things, I find my old letters from friends, boyfriends, things ralated to my primary school...It is just lovely to look at it and think about these times, as I am very lucky, my childhood was awesome, and I had good life in general:-)So lots of good memories:-) 
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 21,345 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Superbetty Thank you. Put it on your to do list. Enjoy your day.
  • Superbetty
    Superbetty Community member Posts: 448 Pioneering
    Options
    @Beaver79 thank you, you too:-)
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The smell of deep heat always makes me think of my Grandma :D quite a random one! 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Wilshyboy
    Options
    The noise my Grandma's old treadle sewing machine used to make, and her cursing every time the thread or the needle snapped.
  • WelshBlue
    edited May 2023
    Options
    The talk of the mini reminded me of my first car ... Toyota Carina 1600 E.  Was a great car.  Indestructible until it met the wrong corner ... 1976 registered and the reg' was JEJ 6P

It's great reading these posts
  • petur64
    petur64 Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
    Options
    1986- bought a secondhand car with little money(couldnt use driver door which was broken. Then last week i came across an ad on ebay for £28000 !  Must mean im a classic aswell!
  • Wilshyboy
    Options
    Old ones are the best, at least you could tell them by the shape. Be interested to know what you've got, let us know. 
  • WelshBlue
    Options
    Great Mini.  My brother had a Cooper S and put a 1600 in it. 
    It's the only car I've ever been scared of being a passenger in.  I don't know if anyone's seen Bangers & Cash car auction TV programme ?  I love it but also depresses me that I've either scrapped or given away many many thousands of £££s of cars back in the 80's and 90's ... A Toyota Celica Supra, A Marina Twin Cam, A Sierra XRi 4x 4, An XR3i, A mk2 Xri Fiesta, Renault 5 Gt Turbo ... just some that we treated as disposable
  • Wilshyboy
    Options
    I know what you mean a friend of mine had one in the late 70s, frightening motor in the wrong hands, love to get one today,but originals are hard to come by.
  • Wilshyboy
    Options
    Lovely old motor, you don,t see many about nowadays.
  • WelshBlue
    Options
    My real nostalgia is working on cars ... or the not able to as much and as effciently.  A brake caliper seized on my 2017 KIA Ceed ... warped a disk and fried the pads.

An hours job of refurbing the caliber took me 6 hours and has wiped me out for the next few days.  So the car is booked in to the garage for the simple job of changing the disks and pads.  I grudge paying it but don't have much choice.  But did save £60 sourcing the parts myself which will pay for most of the labour

Back on topic ... the chips my Nana used to make - would love to taste those one last time.  Crispy and light and totally unhealthy fried in beef dripping, but 40 years later no chips have come close

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.