Home Delivery — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Home Delivery

Options
Wibbles
Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,623 Pioneering
edited May 2023 in Coffee lounge
I remember - back in the 70's and even 80's when we used to get 2 mail deliveries a day - the first before 7:30.
Today - no sign of any postman yet (4:15pm)
I also remember the milkman coming round in his float - before we woke up - 6 days a week
The coalman in his horse drawn cart (we lived in a oxfordshire village)
The Bettaware man who gave me a small tin of polish for my toy cars...
Now - we've got Amazon - who often replace items and miss others (eg Battery packs)
I know when I would prefer to live..

Comments

• vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,446 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2023
    Options
      Don't forget the paper boys/girls who always manage to deliver the morning paper before you went to work.
  • WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 764 Pioneering
    Options
    Or the man coming around on his bike with strings of onions 

I'm torn.  I miss the simplicity of back then ... but the technology these days does improve life ?
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,925 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I was going to make a thread on the postman/lady recently but decided not to, ours used to come in the morning some time between 8.30-9.30 every day except Sunday, now they seem to come in the afternoon. It's good to know I'm not the only one!!!!
  • Wibbles
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    I was going to make a thread on the postman/lady recently but decided not to, ours used to come in the morning some time between 8.30-9.30 every day except Sunday, now they seem to come in the afternoon. It's good to know I'm not the only one!!!!

Still no sign of our postie today
    I thought that they were contracted to deliver daily?
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,446 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
          Didn't think posties worked on a bank holiday
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,878 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
          Didn't think posties worked on a bank holiday

They don't. Which is why wibbles hasn't seen them today :D
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,878 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When i was a little girl i remember the pop man going to my nans every Thursday. My grandfather was a miner so my nan used to have free coal delivered from the National Coal Board every couple of months.

The postman where i live never usually comes until about 3pm. Can't remember the last time i had post delivered early in the morning.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Wibbles
    Options
      Don't forget the paper boys/girls who always manage to deliver the morning paper before you went to work.
    I was that paper boy for a few years 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,657 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We never get RM post here before lunchtime.  Doesn't bother me though as long as it arrives on the correct day.  It's become part of my routine to check the post box at about 3pm.

I'd like to go back to the time where everything was available within short walking distance.  Since the 90's everything has been moved to large out-of-town stores.

I find I'm often disappointed with Amazon deliveries - the items packaging is usually damaged in one way or another, particularly annoying when the item was bought as a gift.  Also find the return or replace to be pretty poor with that sort of thing.  Ebay is generally better, both for more secure packaging and for returns, as well as being able to see more useful feedback.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,925 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @OverlyAnxious eBay is definitely very biased toward the buyer, and sellers want (have) to make a good impression, so I think it's a great place to be a buyer.

Being a seller now that's another story!
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We have milk deliveries still from the local farm :) I like supporting as many small businesses as I can, but I think back to when I was housebound by my health, I don't know what I would have done without Amazon delivering books and crafting items. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.