Talk me out of getting an Apple Watch — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Talk me out of getting an Apple Watch

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,948 Disability Gamechanger

I’m considering an Apple Watch. Just the “SE” one, because it’s significantly cheaper and does not lose out on many functions versus the “proper” one.

The problem is I like my traditional watches too much and would never want to stop wearing those.

Would it look silly wearing a normal watch on one’s left wrist and an Apple Watch on one’s right wrist?

I would never entertain wearing 2 normal watches at once as I wouldn’t want to look like a wannabe rap star but I wonder if you could get away with it if one is more of a fitness tracker?

If it helps: I never wear short sleeves. Due to my issues, I am always wearing long sleeves even in summer. I try to keep my watch covered, however sometimes they do pop out if I forget or reach for something etc.

Looking forward to hearing your honest comments.

I won’t be offended.

:)

Comments

• WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 764 Pioneering
    Options
    DJ 66Mustang has got a certain ring to it ... 

I can't see anything wrong with wearing one on both hands ... my kids wouldn't be without their android ones.  Not for me, but I can see the convenience side of them ... paying at shops, reading messages etc

Go for it 

• 66Mustang
    Options
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 21,477 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @66Mustang If it would make you happy and you can afford it, go for it. Nothing wrong with wearing one on each hand.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,777 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    From what I see most people myself included use their mobiles as a watch, personally I have thick wrist and find it very difficult to get a wrist watch to fit
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,916 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have an Apple Watch and I love it. If you want to wear a watch on each hand then you should do what you want.

It’s useful for reading texts and sometimes I’ll use it to pay for things while out, if I forget my purse. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,132 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't personally use one @66Mustang but my daughter does and loves hers. If it's something you want go for it
  • rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,664 Pioneering
    Options
    Dooooooooooooooooon't do it, all you need to do to tell the time is carry a stick with you, find some dirt (mud), plant the stick into the ground, then guess the time, if it's wrong have a handful of excuses ready.
     :o 
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Thanks very much all for all the responses including the amusing ones. :smiley::D 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've umm'd and aaah'd over getting an Apple Watch too @66Mustang

I agree that if it is something you want and you feel the added features in comparison to a normal watch would benefit you, then why not :)
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @Hannah_Scope what put you off getting one, out of curiosity?
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I ended up needing a new phone, so had to put the money towards that :)
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,665 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Fun fact - Richard E Grant always wears two watches.  :)

I wouldn't worry about what other people think of it.  If you'd find the Apple Watch useful then I'd say go for it!
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have an Apple Watch, a very useful tool and I can no longer see myself without one. It does do it’s job in keeping me motivated!
  • 66Mustang
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Thanks all!

@OverlyAnxious - I did know that, but thanks for sharing! He always has one set to his home country - somewhere in Africa I believe?

Fidel Castro always used to wear 2 Rolexes...on the same wrist! Setting a good example as a communist leader......!

I know Neil Armstrong always used to wear 2 watches too but when you have been to the moon you can do what you want by me lol
  • Sandy_123
    Options
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @Sandy_123 yes I have decided that I think I will treat myself to one. I will be going into the city next week to try the 2 sizes on and see which is the best fit!

Hope you are well at the moment
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    Good for you @66Mustang it's because your worth it.
    I'm aright just a little under the weather with a sore throat
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Hope you feel better soon @Sandy_123

I hope it's not the start of a cold.
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 7,526 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

@66Mustang
    Hi I hope you’re good I miss you on the morning thread. I hope you’ll be back soon.

Back to the Apple Watch I personally don’t have one, but my son and daughter do and they love them, they say they couldn’t be without them.
    Go for it why not. 

Take care ❤️
  • Cyhyraeth
    Cyhyraeth Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Options
    My dad uses an apple watch, personally i'm an android guy.  One of the things that impressed me was the fall detection built in.  If it detects a hard fall it will vibrate and then sound an alarm.  If you don't acknowledge it and it detects no movement within a minute, it will automatically call emergency services and share your location with them.  
    When the call ends, it will send your emergency contacts a text message with your current location, unless you choose to cancel.  It will then continue to send them texts informing them of your location.  

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.