Confused — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Confused

Options
markf87
markf87 Community member Posts: 25 Courageous
Wondering if someone can help point me in the right direction?

recently my wife got her pip back and the DWP sent a letter saying they owe us back pay but weren’t sure if they did (confusing I know)

these are the benefits we get

ESA - joint claim 
wife - standard care pip
me - standard care / enchanced mobility

im just unsure what disability premiums we should be getting and how much we should be paid as they’ve paid us different amounts every few weeks since we got her pip back. 

Tried to ring up ESA but hangs up after 30mins or won’t put me through to a person just tells me my next payment date and amount.

Comments

• markf87
    Options
    Forgot to mention I’m in the support group for ESA
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,396 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Your ESA will not be a joint claim, it will be either yours or your wifes, it will then include extra money for your partner.  Only the main claimant will be receiving NI credits towards your state pension. `

Is it just the 2 of you at home and no other adults? Does anyone claim either carers allowance or carers element of Universal Credit for looking after either of you? If not then your ESA should include the SDP, as well as the Enhanced disability Premium.

You should have recieved your annual uprating letter for your ESA and on there it will tell you exactly what's included with your claim. Difficult to advise without knowing the figures for your ESA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • markf87
    Options
    The claim is in my name. Also my wife did claim carers but she hasn’t since she got her pip awarded.

theres no other adults in the house
  • poppy123456
    Options
    How much ESA do you receive every fortnight? I see you asked about SDP back in 2018, so it may have been included in your ESA at some point.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • markf87
    edited May 2023
    Options
    This is the last letter I got from them.  It’s really confusing. 
    Also my wife hasn’t claimed carers since 24th February.
    and like I said in the original post, every payment we’ve had off ESA since then had been different.
    when I call up to ask them I just get hung up on or not passed to an operator. 
  • poppy123456
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I've flagged your comment above because your NI number and your name is showing on the picture. You must make sure not to post personal details because it's a public forum and anyone can see them.

That's an old ESA letter from before the increase. You should have received another letter detailing the increases.

All of that seems correct. However, if your partner is no longer claiming carers allowance then you need to contact ESA and tell them. It would be worth their while claiming it though because they will receive class 1 NI credits towards their state pension. As you're the main claimant of the ESA then they will not be receiving any NI credits for this.

The different ESA payments since April 10th could well be to do with the annual increase in benefits. At first your payment will include part of the old rate and part new rate. Going forward your payments should be the same each week.

The reason they're holding the lump sum payment is because they are checking for any money that you may owe them. Once this is done they will pay what is owed (unless you owe them and then they can recover the overpayment from the money they owe you)
  • Community_Scope
    Community_Scope Posts: 980 Scope online community team
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Hello @markf87

I removed your images as they contained personal information. If you wanted to block that out and upload them you are more than welcome :) 
  • markf87
    Options
    Thank you so much for your help. It’s just so confusing at times, money stuff is not my strong point.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You're welcome. Benefits are never straight forward. Please ring ESA though to tell them your wife is no longer claiming Carers allowance. Your ESA can then include the couples SDP but please be aware of my advice regarding the NI credits.
  • markf87
    Options
    Managed to get it sorted now spoke to esa and carers and they getting it sorted. Thanks again for your help. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.