Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Changing phone number

Options
hhad1
hhad1 Community member Posts: 21 Connected
Hi, so frustrating that to log into universal credit account you need a text to your phone, my mobile number has changed so I called up today to update it and the lady said she would need to make an appointment for me at the job centre and I'd need to attend this to update my number. I am currently on LCWRA, is this true? I hung up as I got exceptionally anxious and couldn't carry on the call after she said this. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,313 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This is a new one on me and haven't heard of this before. I know you usually have to attend your local JC when changing bank details.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • hhad1
    hhad1 Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    Options
    This is a new one on me and haven't heard of this before. I know you usually have to attend your local JC when changing bank details.
    Ah okay, i was thinking how silly it would be to need to go to a job centre for a number change! Maybe she misheard me or was mistaken, I will call again tomorrow. Thank you
  • Astro0
    Astro0 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    You can have your code for universal credit sent to your email address as I do 
  • Spike1776
    Spike1776 Community member Posts: 44 Connected
    Options

Astro0 said:
    You can have your code for universal credit sent to your email address as I do 
    Yes you can but only if you do it in the first instance when you make a claim.

it is not possible if you opted for text messages,the only way if you lose you phone or change your number is to contact UC help line,they won’t even change your number there and then,they will set up an appointment at a local job centre.

so,you won’t be able to access your UC account until you’ve been to the job centre

when I asked why (today) they told me it’s security as anyone could have your phone number and simple phone UC to change it,they will only change it when they see you in person with the relevant ID.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.