If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

LCWRA and housing payment

Options
amy1188
amy1188 Community member Posts: 28 Connected
Hi All, 

I am slightly confused by how much I am entitled to for my housing costs through UC. 
I pay £600 a month rent and for the past 4 months have been entitled to £524 housing element. I submitted a claim to have this backdated for two months because there was a delay in receiving my tenancy agreement, this was approved to last week. 
This morning I received a message stating that no amount of back pay was owed. I checked and they have only added £291 of housing element. When I questioned this I was told because my LCWRA only started from 1st January that was when I was entitled to £524 of housing. Prior to that I am only entitled to £291 housing element. I didn’t realise LCWRA has an impact on my housing entitlement, is this correct? I am also confused because when using the gov calculator to work out how much housing I am entitled to for my circumstances, it states £120 a week, so more than the £291 figure they have told me today and this is without them asking about LCWRA. 
Any help would be appreciated. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,289 Championing
    Options
    LCWRA makes no difference to your housing element. 
    Are you living in social housing or privately rented? Is it just yourself living at home?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • amy1188
    Options
    LCWRA makes no difference to your housing element. 
    Are you living in social housing or privately rented? Is it just yourself living at home?
    This is what I thought and it was why I couldn’t understand it. I privately rent. 
    When I first had my housing added I was entitled to £526 this was paid to me on 10th March. I didn’t have my telephone assessment until 23rd March so I know I was entitled to the full amount even without LCWRA. I don’t understand why they are saying prior to this I am only entitled to £291, I don’t even know where they are getting that figure from because it doesn’t even match up to the LHA calculator. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,289 Championing
    Options
    You can request the Mandatory Reconsideration of the decision to reduce your housing element. This can be done on your journal. I’d advise you to point out to them the LHA rate for the area you live. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • amy1188
    Options
    You can request the Mandatory Reconsideration of the decision to reduce your housing element. This can be done on your journal. I’d advise you to point out to them the LHA rate for the area you live. 
    I have just had my journal updated with a letter confirming that I am actually due to the correct amount backdated. I have no idea why they were trying to give me a lower amount for those two months but I’m just glad it’s sorted now. Thank you for your help. 
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.