Join Me! Change the legislation! Events and Festivals should have properly accessible toilets — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Join Me! Change the legislation! Events and Festivals should have properly accessible toilets

Options
TraceyFalcon
TraceyFalcon Community member Posts: 36 Courageous
As a long term visitor to Womad festival, last year I visited for the first time as a wheelchair user. To my dismay I found that whilst I could drive my wheelchair into the loos there wasn't enough room to then get out, get to the loo or close the door. There also weren't handrails in many of the loos or sometimes only behind the loo. There were no sinks in any of them. I have been in contact with the organisers who say these loos are standard supply for all festivals and events (it took them 10 months to reply). I would love to hear of other experiences as I intend to contact the suppliers of these disabled portaloos to try to get this looked into. I can't believe that yet another door seems to be closing now I can't walk, surely accessible toilets need to be accessible to wheelchair users. Its such a basic need, I am distraught.

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about the access failure you've encountered @TraceyFalcon, as an ambulatory wheelchair user myself I can relate, and often wonder what I'd do if I wasn't able to hop in and out in situations like this. 

Being able to go to the loo is a very basic need, and it shouldn't be a barrier for disabled people wanting to attend festivals. Keep us up to date with how you get on, as I'm sure plenty of our members have experienced similar issues.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • TraceyFalcon
    Options
    Hi
    I have found another wheelchair user who is joining me to campaign for properly wheelchair accessible portaloos at events and festivals. I am aware of mobiloo, revolootion, changing places etc, but I am interested in looking at the regulations surrounding the size of the standard disabled portaloos. To do this I would like to gather stories of peoples experiences at festivals and events. My first post got zero replies.... maybe I need to start another thread?
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2023
    Options
    @TraceyFalcon Thank you for updating us! :) It sounds like the campaign is in full swing. You could create a new post, or if you'd like, I could change the title of this post for you? So you keep everything in one thread?

If you haven't already, I'd also suggest reaching out to MP's where festivals take place. They may be able to put you in touch with people too, to share their stories :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • littleacorn
    littleacorn Community member Posts: 368 Pioneering
    Options
    I understand your frustration. Its not just festival and events toilets which are too small but many many in shops pubs etc. Who on earth has said they can call them disabled toilets it's all wrong when you can't even have a wee.
  • TraceyFalcon
    Options
    thanks Hannah and Little Acorn. I am taking the campaign up a notch and contacting as many people in high places as I can and yes that includes parliament.
    Hannah it would be brilliant if you could change the title please. Perhaps to something like who will join me in trying to get legislation changed to make sure that festivals and events have properly accessible toilets available by law.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @TraceyFalcon Was a little long so I change it to: Join Me! Change the legislation! Events and Festivals should have properly accessible toilets...

Sound ok? :)
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

• TraceyFalcon
    Options
  • DayDreamBeliever
    DayDreamBeliever Community member Posts: 75 Courageous
    Options
    Sorry I don't have any experience with this as festivals are not my thing! But just wanted to comment my support 
    Pronouns: She/they 
  • TraceyFalcon
    Options
    @DayDreamBeliever thank you! Do you have any experience with loos at other outdoor events?
  • DayDreamBeliever
    DayDreamBeliever Community member Posts: 75 Courageous
    Options
    @TraceyFalcon not since I've become a wheelchair user but on crutches at an outdoor theatre and they just straight up did not have any disabled portaloos at all! 
    Pronouns: She/they 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.