National insurance — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

National insurance

Options
Angel50
Angel50 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
My mum has come to stay with me as a result of family disputes she is scared to go back home but needs her national insurance number in order to apply for a new career as the old one was a family member who is no longer doing her careering. How can she get national insurance sent to my address so she can apply for a career and make sure the old career is not receiving money she is not doing the job for.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,400 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Do you mean carer and not career? If so are you asking about carers allowance? If so then your mum can claim carers allowance for herself. 

Someone can claim it for looking after her, if they do so for at least 35 hours/week. She must be claiming a qualifying disability benefit such as either PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or Attendance Allowance. 

If someone is already claiming carers allowance for looking after her then someone else can’t claim it until that claim has ended. Your mum can report that this person is no longer caring for them by ringing carers allowance. Contact number here https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance-unit

For your mums NI number then it should be on her benefits award letter if she has that. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Angel50
    Options
    Sorry yes carers allowance. I have tried to call the carers to cancel the others but they said the career has to cancel herself. I am not sure if she has done this.

my mother doesn’t have National insurance number with her since she left the house under hostile situation. She is unable to retreaded this and it has been almost 3 months since we have been waiting for those family members to leave the house as she does not feel safe with them. 

1. I am stuck don’t know what to do. 
    How to get her national insurance number?
    2.report incidence or not as the family members are so far saying they will move out but not sure if it’s just wasting time to get court papers ready.
    3.do I try to get her an accommodation since I only have a flat and she is unable to use her usual disabled bathroom and unable to use steps when lifts breakdown. 

My mother is on pension and disability allowance and normally gets carers allowance. She is getting cared by me but I need help and will need the allowance in order to get some. I have been told she cannot claim carers for herself and get help from whoever she wanted is this right? 

It’s a sensitive issue since my mum was living with my brother and his wife and tenancy was under the wife’s name … she has not been paying correctly and causing problems between my mother and brother which resulted in an abusive situation.. I had no choice but to take my mum in when she called me

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 355 Pioneering
    edited May 2023
    Options

Is your Mum receiving State Pension paid into her bank account?

Does she have access to any of her bank statements, either by online banking or a paper bank statement?

When State Pension or a disability benefit such as PIP or Attendance Allowance is paid into the bank it will quote the person's National Insurance number next to it.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Angel50 said:

My mother is on pension and disability allowance and normally gets carers allowance.

Your mum will not be claiming carers allowance for herself because it's not possible for her to do this. Someone can claim it for looking after her. If the person that was caring for her is no longer doing this then they should have reported the changes to carers allowance.

Your mum can ring carers allowance and tell them that the person is no longer caring for her.

Once the carers allowance stops for the person that currently claims it then you can claim it providing you don't work and earn more than £139/week.

Are you claiming any other benefits yourself?

For the NI number as Shirely advised, if she has access to her bank account then she can check on there. If not then she can fill in a form or ring the NI helpline. Details here. https://www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Angel50
    Options
    Thank you so much for your advice .. I will definitely check her bank to see if I can get the NI. I am hoping to get her someone professional who can come in and help her which will top up the help that I provide. Alternatively I am not working so may claim it myself since I am looking after her 24/7. Many many thanks for you taking the time to give me your advice it’s great to receive the support 🙏🥰
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Please feel free to let us know how this goes for you @Angel50 and if you have any further questions or anything we can do to support you. Hopefully, you will soon be able to navigate this  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You refer her for a needs assessment from her local Authority which is the first step in potentially getting her some extra help. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/

• Angel50
    Options
    Thanks for all your support will keep you posted 🙏🥰

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.