If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Topical treatments for peripheral neuropathy

Options
igal11
igal11 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello everyone!  Just joined here.  Name is Igal.  I have had peripheral neuropathy for several years. It started as a nothing and slowly increased in severity.  Currently i have variable symptoms but i really have a severe discomfort after walking for some time.  Anyone has experience with oils or creams that can be used?  I tried capzacin which failed.  Anyone tried cannabis oil or cream??

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @igal11

Welcome to the community! :) 

I would advise consulting with your GP or local Pharmacist on cannabis oils and cream. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,130 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Hi @igal11 - & welcome to the community. I've personally been using CBD oil, i.e. cannabidiol oil, for about 4 years, which I've found helpful for reducing some of my pain. I have painful joints due to hypermobility, & also neuropathic pain; the latter being the worst. Unfortunately I haven't found the CBD oil to be helpful for my neuropathic pain, but we're all different.
    If contemplating CBD oil, then as Hannah has said, it's best to discuss this with your pharmacist or GP as it is broken down in the same place in the liver by a group of enzymes that also break down most prescribed meds (& some over the counter ones too). It seems you can take CBD safely if a time gap between the 2 is adhered too if taking any of these prescribed meds., which is what I've also done this year since being prescribed additional meds.
    There are some CBD balms, but these are usually mentioned as perhaps helping your muscles after overactivity (so not your peripheral nerves as far as I can see).
    There are CBD patches you can wear on your skin, which shouldn't cause any problems with any medications, but still wise to get your GP's input first.

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.