Need some advice please — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Need some advice please

Skitzejojodoherty Community member Posts: 23 Listener
Can you give me abit of advice please? what happens with my benefits,   once i sign for the tenancy on property. I am on esa and pip. what help is there for someone that hasnt got anything. 
I have been offered a flat in a lovely area,  It's been worth the wait as its a new build..  i know this might sound silly but as its a 1 bedroom i am really bothered as its the first time that i am moving into a 1 bedroom flat. without my children i am really struggling to come to terms as its feels like im really on my own  x  


  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 9,728 Scope online community team
    Hello @Skitzejojodoherty and a huge congratulations on securing a new flat, that's great news!

    I can understand that moving to a new place can be a bit overwhelming, especially as it sounds like a big change moving to a 1 bedroom place. Have you been able to look around the property? 

    Regarding your benefits, unless you already have a claim for housing benefit and are moving within the same local authority, if you need help with rental costs you would usually need need to claim Universal Credit. How this will impact your other benefits depends on what type of ESA you are claiming. Do you know which type it is? For example New Style ESA, income-related or contribution-based? If you have the details of the rent amounts a benefit calculator should help give you an idea of what you will receive.

    In terms of additional help, you could check if you're eligible for any local housing grants or schemes that can assist with things like furniture for your new flat. Your local council or Citizens Advice may be able to point you in the right direction.

    Remember that it's completely normal to feel apprehensive about big changes like this, but I hope that you'll come to feel more comfortable in your new home soon. Best of luck with the move!

    Community Manager


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.