Claiming as separate household but at the same address — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Claiming as separate household but at the same address

Options
kane1994
kane1994 Community member Posts: 107 Courageous
Hi me and my partner have decided to separate but I have no where to go until I find my own place so we've decided to claim as separate house holds but use same address I'm on lcwra and she's down as my carer 35 hours a week will this still be able to continue as normal but on separate claims? Also I'm in receipt of council tax support will I still receive it at my current address on a separate claim I need to know this before we do it as I still live there and don't want to make the situation worse?

Kane 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,530 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It is possible to claim as single people when living in the same household. However, you will likely need to prove that you pay your own bills and you're not living as a couple. It may not be as straight forward if they are continuing to care for you.

If you're responsible for paying the council tax then your CTR can continue but you'll need to report the changes.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kane1994
    Options
    Hi thank you for the info so when I do end up finding my own place if no one else can care for me but my ex partner would that work in Completly different homes? As companies are expensive 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I'm not saying that the carers element can't continue while still living at the same address but it maybe more difficult to claim as single people.  It will be down to a decision maker to make the final decision. When you move out then you will no longer be living together so there will be no issues with the carers element.

You need to each report a change of circumstances on your journal and tell them you're no longer living as a couple. If your UC includes the LCWRA element for yourself, you need to make sure you take a copy of the decision letter because once you transfer to a single claim you will lose everything on your journal. (including your past statements)

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • kane1994
    Options
    Hi I have a downloaded copy of my lcwra decision letter and okay I will do that thank you for your help 
  • kane1994
    Options
    Won't they automatically transfer the lcwwra element over how will I show them my decision letter if its on my phone 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The LCWRA element should continue to be included with your statement. However, because you'll be claiming as a single person this may not happen. If the worst happens and it's not included in your statement you'll need to show them the decision letter.
    Please note the changes will take place from the assessment period in which you reported the changes.
  • kane1994
    Options
    Okay I'll ring them before I go ahead with anything anyway 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have you managed to ring them yet @kane1994? Just wondering how things are going for you if you have phoned them  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • kane1994
    Options
    Hi I'm now on a single claim my statement shows the Lcwra element I just had to verify my bank details and amend my address all I need now is a home then I'm sorted 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.